• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Boatside Rockers

Kaczman

Lurker
NAXJA Member
I finally welded the new boatside rocker panels into place. I would have preferred to tie the rockers into the subframe, but the original rockers were so damaged, everything had to be cut out. The original sill plates and vertical floorboard area were re-enforced with 3/16" plate, and the new rocker is 3/16" by 5". I may end up skinning them with UHMW plastic.

Boatside_Profile.sized.jpg

Baotside_Rear_Driver.sized.jpg

Boatside_Driver_s.sized.jpg

Boatside_Front_Driver.sized.jpg

Boatside_Pass.sized.jpg

I guess if they don't hold up, I'll plasma them out, and try something else.

-Jon

Last edited:
Every time I see that rig, it has less and less that resembles an XJ.

I love the EX-J moniker. Hey Jon, I've got a place that makes cool cowl induction hood scoops for cheap. You get it and I will mount and paint it for you. I love flames. Nobody lets me paint flames :scottm:

You didn't put the rear hatch beside the house did you. Since I swiped the glass from the rig, I thought I might be able to score a hatch cheap.

old_man said:
I love the EX-J moniker. Hey Jon, I've got a place that makes cool cowl induction hood scoops for cheap. You get it and I will mount and paint it for you. I love flames. Nobody lets me paint flames :scottm:

You didn't put the rear hatch beside the house did you. Since I swiped the glass from the rig, I thought I might be able to score a hatch cheap.

You remember the scrap pile beside the house, eh? I finally got rid of all the old sheet metal and gave the glass away (and not a minute too soon for the Mrs.).

I'm now using hood pins, so if the pig catches fire I can get access quickly.

-Jon

I wish. I should have kept better records during the build process. I'll try to give a Cliff's notes summary.

Drivetrain:
-4.6l stroker, stock AW4 and 242. The tranny mount is flush with the frame rails. Flat skid.
-Stock trussed D-44 rear with 5.38's, Detroit, Dutchman shafts, disk brakes.
-Trussed Waggy D-44 front w/ 5.38's, Detroit, full hydro high steer.
Rear.sized.jpg

Front.sized.jpg

Suspension:
-Rear: Triangulated 4 link using cut down Tomken 5" coils. Bilstein 5100's. The axle has been moved back 4".
-Front: Triangulated 4 link (no track bar) RE 7.5" coils. Bilstein 5100's. The axle has been moved forward 2". The current wheelbase is 107.5"

Frame/ Body:
-1/4" U channel subframe from the original rear leaf mounts to original LCA mounts.
-Cage tied into subframe.
-Seats tied into cage. 5 point harnesses.
-Dovetailed rear. The body has been norrowed 12", and the bumper 18".
-Boatsided rockers.
-Fuel cell.
Flop.sized.jpg

-Jon

this is definitely one of my favorite jeeps. Wish i had the know how to do the same to my new project jeep, (actually my brothers jeep but we are in it together.) We really wanted to chop it and give it a look exactly like this. Wish we could pay you to come do the same to ours. Loving it---------Kyle

I really like what you did with the boatsides.

I've been NEEDING to replace the c4x4 rails that I have now and I was thinking of cutting out the rocker and replacing it with 4x2x3/16 tubing....but you might have an idea here....

It looks great!

Kaczman said:
Beautiful view of the underside!! Can you do it again without that rock in the way of the front tire? :D Seriously though, that's a sweet-looking rig!

Update

I got the passenger side UHMW polyethylene skin in place today. It is missing one fastener, and I'll get the driver's side done on Wednesday. Sorry about the poor photo quality.

UHMW.sized.jpg

-Jon

Re: Update

Kaczman said:
I got the passenger side UHMW polyethylene skin in place today. It is missing one fastener, and I'll get the driver's side done on Wednesday. Sorry about the poor photo quality.

UHMW.sized.jpg

-Jon
hi, nice job! Is the UHMW polyethylene skin act like teflon? :rolleyes:

Yup. And hopefully it will help disperse the force from high impact shock loads. The boatside skins are only welded to the stock sheet, so the skids will need all the help they can get to survive.

They will be tested extensively in the next month, so I'll soon know how they stand up. I'm not worried about the structural support of the rockers due to the cage and subframe, but I'd prefer to not re-build them after every trip.

-Jon

Camel_Joe said:
Are they holding up?

I want to do something sililar but I'm being discouraged by some TJ guys that say it won't work.

TJ guys? Well they must know what they are talking about....

I tested them on Fordyce and the Rubicon, and they held up better than I expected. I'll keep 'em until they fall off.

-Jon

Back