• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Various Factory Tie Rod lengths?

OverlandZJ

NAXJA Member # 101
Can someone confirm that there are 2 different lengths for a factory tierod?

Here's my situation: Replacing a JKS HD Tierod (34 7/8" ) for a factory tierod (36 3/8" ). I cant set proper toe in because the tierod is too long, and tierod ends are bottomed out. I'm hoping that there is in fact a shorter factory tierod and i'll find one in the am.

I'm thinking that perhaps the tierod was made shorter with the redesign of the outter knuckles/bearing/brake upgrade of 1990?

I'm working on a 94 if that helps..

Ran into something similiar before, wondered if it was a really good, out of spec knock off, or somebody just grabbed the wrong pieces out of a bin. Threads were some longer, the non threaded part of the shank was much longer. Have noticed some amazingly different castings, for front end parts and U-joints, all with the same manufacturers, head stamp. Always wondered if it was different factories or concessionares, for the same part or knock offs. Maybe even different grades of the same part.

Found what i was looking for after checking about a dozen XJ's at the yard. All the pre 91's measured 36"+...91 and newer was ~35".

Total cost...$6. :cool:

Back