• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

parts on rear driveshaft for 90 xj

lapaul

NAXJA Forum User
My U joint broke on my rear driveshaft of my 90 xj, and the driveshaft fell off.

I'm about to put in a new u joint and put the driveshaft back in. It looks like the metal end of the drive shaft slides right into the transfer case, but before I put it back and start driving I want to make sure I'm not missing any seals or other parts tht might have fallen off.

Are there any parts besides the geared shaft of the drive shaft that need to be installed or is that it.

Sounds like you are talking about the slip yoke. If it broke it is most likely because it bound up due to too much lift/flex. At least go to a high clearance yoke. A SYE is the best bet.

what broke is the U joint, in the rear where it goes into the rear differential, however once that broke the drive shaft came off (since I was going uphill at the time) lots of noice etc. Anyway now that I have to put everything together again, the front fits into the hole in the transfer case, my only question is are there any other parts besides the metal shaft (which is in front of another U joint) or do I just have to put the metal shaft in.

My jeep manual and Haynes Chilton seem to assume I'd know the answer, and just say remove install drive shaft.

lapaul said:
Are there any parts besides the geared shaft of the drive shaft that need to be installed or is that it.

Nope just slip it back in and you should be good to go. Also for future post those are called splines not gears.
DIG IT

The 90 has the "old style" transfer case outout shaft. The seal is pressed into the tailcone and it seals against the shiny surface of the slip yoke on the forward end of your driveshaft. You are not missing any additional parts.

Back