• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electrical Problems

Ken

NAXJA Forum User
My Jeep just threw the serp belt so I replace the wobbly water pump and the clogged thermostat and it still want to over heat.

I have noticed that the electric fan is not running at all and I has started to run rough. I am figuring this is an electrical problem because I have checked all the plugs, wires and cap, rotor.

Has anybody run into this and found a good fix?

I am at the point of taking it to the dealer, not really excited about that option.

It is a 97 xj with 104,000 miles and could use a little TLC.

Any Help would be wonderful.

Thanks All,
ken

When/how does it overheat?

(a) all the time
(b) only up long hills with heavy loads
(c) overheats when stopped in traffic, but cools down as soon as it starts moving again
(d) other

What engine, what transmission, and do you have air conditioning?

Overheating

I drove two hours in it yesterday, after about 40 miles it was running at a bout 220F. after about an hour and a half it hit 260 for a brief moment as I drove through some hills.

I only stayed at 260 for about a half mile and then dropped back down to 220.

I have AC but it is currently just along for the ride. I stopped workin at the end of last summer. Have not had it fixed yet. Probably will have to since I now live in Texas, bit warmer than those hot Buffalo, NY summers.

It is really starting to drive me nuts.

Have you taken it through any mud ever? If so remove that electric fan and clean the radiator throughly from front and rear. Put the fan back after your done, of course. The fan runs whenever the AC compressor does and also when the temp guage tells it to. I've had to clean my radiator several times due to the same type of over heating. Also check your oil level. Believe it or not if it's low enough, going up hills will cause some over heating when it shifts to the rear of the crankcase.

Back