• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubicon trip June 20-22

Goatman

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
The Sierra chapter guys are leading a Rubicon trip on Fri-Sun, June 20-22. We're going to run the trail backwards, from the Tahoe side, which should be real interesting. We don't have a definite time set yet, but we'll be leaving in the morning on Friday, and will probably gather up at the staging area. Figure you should be in the Tahoe area Thursday evening or first thing Friday morning.

The current plan is to camp Friday night at Buck Island Lake and Saturday night at Spider Lake. That should leave us with fairly easy days on the trail, so plenty of time in camp to relax. We can set up camp at Spider on Saturday, then go play in Little Sluice.

We guarantee a good time on this ride! It might even still be a bit wet up there, which makes True Sluice pretty darn fun/interesting. And of course, the scenery is ALMOST as nice as Johnson Valley.

Post up here or on Sierra Chapter if you can make it. This way we can get a good count.

On a side note:

For all of you that can't do Rubicon because of the distance or are like me and their Jeeps are afraid of it, there is going to be a "Wimpicon" run scheduled that weekend that'll be easier. :) I plan on a two day run, the first day will definatly be green (stock XJ's are more than welcome to play), the second day hasn't been decided yet.

The location is to be announced...

Sequoia

CRASH said:
And of course, the scenery is ALMOST as nice as Johnson Valley.

I'd have to see both places to make a comparison.

I hear the sun never shines north of Modesto, and it's always cold, sometimes with something called "snow" on the side of the trail? They say if you stand outside with a hot drink in your hand, you better learn to like cold beverages (a hot cuppa can freeze before it hits the lips, and that's in the daytime)?

They tell me they have rocks up there, but they have these spindly brown and green things sprouting up between the rocks, holding most of the rocks together so they don't get rearranged by every vehicle on the trail? Get this, they told me the green things don't die out and turn brown in mid-June, and the bigger green things block the view of the vast landscape? I heard some folks drive into these areas, get this "closed-in" feeling, and have to be airlifted out?

I don't know; I'd have to see this fearful place with wild green things (myself), to compare its beauty to the buxom priceless habitat bounty of Johnson Valley.

And there are less things that want to kill you. All we have is one or two species of carnivorous mega-fauna, and they can't hide in your shoe.

CRASH

Ed A. Stevens said:
I'd have to see both places to make a comparison.

I hear the sun never shines north of Modesto, and it's always cold, sometimes with something called "snow" on the side of the trail? They say if you stand outside with a hot drink in your hand, you better learn to like cold beverages (a hot cuppa can freeze before it hits the lips, and that's in the daytime)?

They tell me they have rocks up there, but they have these spindly brown and green things sprouting up between the rocks, holding most of the rocks together so they don't get rearranged by every vehicle on the trail? Get this, they told me the green things don't die out and turn brown in mid-June, and the bigger green things block the view of the vast landscape? I heard some folks drive into these areas, get this "closed-in" feeling, and have to be airlifted out?

I don't know; I'd have to see this fearful place with wild green things (myself), to compare its beauty to the buxom priceless habitat bounty of Johnson Valley.

Very well spoken, Ed. It's difficult to compare anything to the frailness and grandeur of Johnson Valley.

So, who's going?

Back