• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vacum Disco V. Non-Disco 30

YYYJ

NAXJA Forum User
I know that this is pretty much a newbie question but I need a little advice....

I have a non-disco 30 in my parts jeep that seems to be in good-working order... My wheeler XJ has a disco 30 that needs a replacement vacum accuator on the axle.... Would it be worth it to swap the entire axle into my Xj.... I have 8" coils (measure out to about 6 3/4") and adjustable arms... It was a bear putting the arms on there with those gigantic coils so, I can't decide if I need to go through that again for the non-disco axle....

Any help is appriciated..
Trey

It depends on what all you are intending for the Jeep, as most people I know will tell you that the non-disco is a much better unit. So, if you have the time, I would swap it out. There are a couple threads here about reattaching the arms, so you might want to search and see what works for others. If you are content with the existing axle otherwise, maybe a cable disconnect would be a cheap/easy way to go, at least for the time being. A posi-lock is a great thing, but you can make one for a whole lot cheaper:

http://home.earthlink.net/~stevenschreiber/cabledis.htm

Been running with a similar "budget Posi-Lock" for about 3 months with no issue whatsoever.

-Rich

YYYJ said:
I know that this is pretty much a newbie question but I need a little advice....

I have a non-disco 30 in my parts jeep that seems to be in good-working order... My wheeler XJ has a disco 30 that needs a replacement vacum accuator on the axle.... Would it be worth it to swap the entire axle into my Xj.... I have 8" coils (measure out to about 6 3/4") and adjustable arms... It was a bear putting the arms on there with those gigantic coils so, I can't decide if I need to go through that again for the non-disco axle....

Any help is appriciated..
Trey

You could just fis the accuator.

I'll probably just keep the diso 30 and do the cheapo- posi-lock. My XJ is a beater... 33s and light weight..... I don't need anything ridiculusly strong.....

Thanks for the advice..
trey

OK, there are several things to think about between the two axles. Most of the Disco 30's have the smaller 260 u-joints and these pop pretty easy. The non-disco's from what I remember all have the 297 joints and can be changed to the 5-760 joints to upgrade even more.

Surprisingly enough it appears that the disco housing is actually stronger. For the timebeing I am running the disco axle with a fab'd cable release and the 297 disco axles. You hear a lot of claims that the disco is the weak spot. I've seen a ton of blown D30's and never has it happened at the disco.

I would seriously think about putting the non-disco axles in the disco housing if the existing axles are not 297's. There are plenty of writeups on doing this and it isn't hard.

My D30 is one of those write ups. I have TJ outer knuckles, TJ hubs and rotors, and TJ shafts. The shafts I have came with the 767's from the factory.

PM me if you have any specific questions but I'll be wheeling this weekend. Otherwise search with my user name and use key words like: disco, non-disco, axle seal I have posted many times about the topic.

My vacume actuator just wnet out also and this will help out alot. Where did you pick up the tandem brake cable form? Just a standard bike shop? Or you said you can make it work with a regular brake cable , mountian bike work?

Thx Ryan

I used a mountain bike cable when I pulled my Shimano brakes in favor of Magura Hydros. Works nice and tight and sweet. The only reason for a tandem cable is the length. Find a nice, close spot to go through the cabin into the netherworld underneath the XJ, and you will be able to use a shorter cable.

-Rich

Back