• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Door roll pin

RichP

NAXJA Forum User
This is bugging me, the roll pin came out of my 98XJ's driver door and smacked me in the shin before heading into warp space to join the odd sock and such that get transported in clothes dryers...
So I picked up another one and put it in about 3 or so weeks ago, this one is also working it's way 'up' and out, had to smack it down yesterday, it was a tight fit when I put it in. Is there something I can put on the ends to keep it from working it's way up and out ??? Some kind of spring C clip maybe ???

I pounded a finising nail down thru mine to expand it a little...keeps it right in place. And I thought my Jeep was the only one that had that problem...guess not :)
Jeff

If a hinge pin pops out it's usually because the two hinges aren't lined up properly relative to each other*, or there's an unusual stress on one hinge. You might try loosening the bolts on the offending hinge a little and seeing if it will realign. Of course this won't help if the hinges have been rewelded, etc. and cannot be lined up anyway.

* A good test of finish carpentry - if the pins on your door hinges keep working out, you know they weren't hung quite right.

Matthew Currie said:
If a hinge pin pops out it's usually because the two hinges aren't lined up properly relative to each other*, or there's an unusual stress on one hinge. You might try loosening the bolts on the offending hinge a little and seeing if it will realign. Of course this won't help if the hinges have been rewelded, etc. and cannot be lined up anyway.

* A good test of finish carpentry - if the pins on your door hinges keep working out, you know they weren't hung quite right.

Wrong pin, this is the pin that holds the 'hold the door open' thingy that is about midway between the hinges. I might just go with the next size up pin but I'll try a couple of retaining c clips first. I tried the nail bit right after the first pin came out but the sound that 'keep the door open' thingy makes is like a .25 cal pistol going off.

RichP said:
Wrong pin, this is the pin that holds the 'hold the door open' thingy that is about midway between the hinges. I might just go with the next size up pin but I'll try a couple of retaining c clips first. I tried the nail bit right after the first pin came out but the sound that 'keep the door open' thingy makes is like a .25 cal pistol going off.

Oh! That one! It should be tapered, and just hammer in, but I imagine the hole can get a little worn so it doesn't hold. I'd just go with a little bolt and nut as close to the hole size as you can get. After the nut is on take a vise grips or something and mung the threads a little so it doesn't unscrew by itself.

ahhh, just some funny information... I work in car stereos, etc... so we're always taking those clips off to remove doors. They almost always slip and disappear into space. For that reason, they are referred to as "Oh, Jesus clips" Because everytime you pull em off, they fly away and you say oh jesus, cuz then you have to find em'.

oops, i guess i should have finished reading the posts befor ei wrote mine.... oh well, still funny information on the window roll clips.

I had one missing on the passenger side, replaced it with a nice fat cotter key. drops in from the top and lightly expanded on the bottom, hasn't moved...

Back