• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pulls right when shifting

red922dr

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, this is my first XJ and I like it. It is a 92 4.0 ax5 3" lift 31's. Here is the problem, sometimes when I shift in to 4th or 5th the thing will pull to the right, sometimes a little sometimes quite a bit. Trany mount is new, motor mounts seem to be good. Previous owner put new OEM mounts in. Any ideas?

You just go get new lower control arms, pretty cheap thru Quadratec or even AZ. You can get new bushings, don't know how expensive they are though. Red92-- you might want to check with Vernon, he has a spare set of LCA's you could put the new bushings in and then put them on so you could test the situation. :spin1:
BTW if you are going to change your LCA's take a ratchet strap, put it around the axle on the side you are working on and the swaybar, tighten, and then you don't have to fight with the axle to get the LCA back in place!

good call on the ratchet strap, when i took mine off i didnt use the strap and it slid backwards and i had to use the OEM jack to get it back into place. That little jack can come in handy, remember that....

tuxxj said:
Me too on my 93. Could this be from bad Lower Control Bushings? How do you check these?

Yeah, how do you check them without a long Saturday of wrenching? BTW
some under side viewing shows the sway bar end bushings are JUNK, could this be part of the problem?

red922dr said:
Yeah, how do you check them without a long Saturday of wrenching? BTW
some under side viewing shows the sway bar end bushings are JUNK, could this be part of the problem?
Swaybar would be a minor cause but not highly probable. LCA's can be swapped out in 30 minutes with hand tools not difficult at all. Don't even think about it until I get back from Vacation!!

asatxj said:
You can get new bushings, don't know how expensive they are though.

You'll need two per side (they're the same front and rear), and you're best off doing both sides at once. Just did mine recently on my 2001; total cost for parts from the dealership was around $40 for all four after tax. I'd assume an earlier model would be about comparable.

Back