• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

consistency.....never!

Dirk Funk

NAXJA Forum User
I must drive the Jeep harshly because I've totally fawked my sway bar assembly:
  1. Bent the crap out of the JKS cotter pin, had to wrestle it out. Do I have to go to JKS direct to get another one? I seem to remember reading that I do.
  2. Lost the upper button head bolt that connects the JKS disconnect to the sway bar, yes with loctite on it no less. No wonder it didn't feel like the sway bar was working...
  3. Bent the actual sway bar bracket connected to the axle.
So anyway, I'm trying to get new bushings, looked at the Autozone ones with the built in zerk- verynice, but I can't for the life of me figure out the diameter of my swaybar.

I don't have a caliper to measure it, so I did my best with a ruler and it seems to be 24mm. Please tell me there is some consistency with 93 manual sport, two door, 4-wheel drive Jeeps? I test fit some from Autozone, and they were way too big- visible gap.

Also, I would assume I want these bushings very snug, correct?

Any input is appreciated.

If they're the "quicker disconnects" which use the hitch pin with the hoop around it, then Home Despot sells them for $1.00. I use JKS's "storage" post when they're disconnected and I always seems to loose the pins.

Matt

Jeep seemed to use about a bazillion different diameter sway bars over the years, sometimes changing size in the middle of the model year. My recommendation is measure the bar with a caliper, and if it comes out between two sizes, buy the bushings for the smaller size.

A tight fit is better than loose here.

most hardware stores, or farm supply stores will carry those cotter pins... i got mine from a tractor supply store for $.80 for two. but then again i live in the middle of nowhere

For anyone who is interested, I found the cotter pins at Home Depot. I also bought a caliper, and my sway bar is closest to 23 mm. 93 two door, manual, 4wd.

Back