• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Comanche exhaust system

gator_grabber

NAXJA Forum User
Is there a well designed "cat back" exhaust system out there for a shortbed MJ? Lots of XJ parts, but I'm not finding a decent tailpipe for the Comanche. The front of the system is Borla, BTW. Any thoughts? Thanks.

I couldn't find any sort of "cat back" system so to speak. I thought about having one mandrel bent, but no one even close does that. What I finally did was buy a Flowmaster 40 DF and just a stock replacement tailpipe from Advance Auto. Total cost was about $80, but no mandrel bending and still stock size, but it should be a little better since the muffler is considerably less restrictive.

No such animal unless you pay a shop to custom build you one. An XJ cat-back won't even be close. For one thing, the muffler's reversed. The MJ is an offset inlet center out design (XJ is opposite and it does matter with some mufflers). The tailpipe, well, just wont even be close.

What I was considering was taking an existing XJ tailpipe, then cutting and adding material to either side of the axle "hoop" to make it work. Sounds like lots of unnecessary fun...:banghead:

Is your MJ stock or lifted? On my '87 longbed with a 3" Skyjacker lift, I had ample room to run a side exit exhaust in front of the axle. I just ran a 90* bent pipe out from the muffler, exiting between the spring and the frame just in front of the rear wheel. The underside of the bed has plenty of places to mount custom exhaust hangers. Very simple and cheap, looks factory.

I'll be running no more than 4" of lift. I'm not crazy about side exhausts, but I am open minded. Too often they look like someone just grabbed a hand full of pipe and bolted it all on in 5 minutes. You don't happen to have a photo?

Side pipes? XJ exhaust? Way too much effort for me. :greensmok I've been running this for like 7 years now (most of those as a lowly 2wd ) and have never had any issues with exhaust fumes or anything. It's a pickup after all. :D
Jeep on!
--Pete

58304356.jpg

Back