• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spending quality DIY time with the Jeep...

Beached Bones

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all, I'm looking for ideas on what DIY project I could do next. You know the kind, fun quirky low budget mods. 92 XJ

Similar stuff I've done, 10$ homebuilt quick change snorkle, 0.30$ sway bar quick disconnects, painting kickers and bumpers with bedliner, home built bumpers front and rear, Voltage inverter with 120V house type plugs in dash (this one gets some interesting looks from passengers), bored throttle body, kill switch, hidden jack stand, hidden toolboxes, interior electric heater 10$, a bunch of interior lights (rope light, glow string neon speaker lights, red mood lights, desk lamp or fog machine when needed)

I was thinking of doing some type of drink holder/cooler that mounts to the center dash ash tray with vent over it.... not sure how to do this yet..

Maybe I could do some kind of mount for my GPS.....

it might be fun to rig up one of those tailpipe flame-throwers that the oldschool hot rods used to have....

Any more ideas guys?

c'mon help my descent into madness!

Mount a digital camcorder inside your Jeep then plug it into your power inverter so it doesn't even run off it's batteries .... like I did :D

DSCN2473.jpg

DSCN2476.jpg

Beached Bones said:
Hi all, I'm looking for ideas on what DIY project I could do next. You know the kind, fun quirky low budget mods. 92 XJ

Similar stuff I've done, 10$ homebuilt quick change snorkle, 0.30$ sway bar quick disconnects, painting kickers and bumpers with bedliner, home built bumpers front and rear, Voltage inverter with 120V house type plugs in dash (this one gets some interesting looks from passengers), bored throttle body, kill switch, hidden jack stand, hidden toolboxes, interior electric heater 10$, a bunch of interior lights (rope light, glow string neon speaker lights, red mood lights, desk lamp or fog machine when needed)

I was thinking of doing some type of drink holder/cooler that mounts to the center dash ash tray with vent over it.... not sure how to do this yet..

it might be fun to rig up one of those tailpipe flame-throwers that the oldschool hot rods used to have....

Any more ideas guys?

I dont mean to hijack your thread but can you email me some info on the kill switch and maybe some pics?? [email protected]

PhatXJ said:
Mount a digital camcorder inside your Jeep then plug it into your power inverter so it doesn't even run off it's batteries .... like I did :D

DSCN2473.jpg

DSCN2476.jpg

I wish I had that when I rolled :D It'd probably be a good video if the camera would survive it.

Beached Bones said:

Any more ideas guys?

As I'm trying to think of some more suggestions for ya... how about some pictures of this "quick change snorkle", "hidden jack stand", and "hidden toolboxes"?

• I rewired my cigarette lighter to be on even when the key's not in the ignition (handy for charging cell phone and such).
  • I added an "oh sh!t handle" to the driver's side (taken from the driver's side rear of another XJ). The anchor points are there, just drill the holes.
  • I wired a cigarette lighter plug into the rear.
  • I did my hoodvents pretty cheap.
That's all I got right now... I'll keep thinking.
Billy

Hi guys...

An Oh sh*t haddle on driver's side.... that sounds good. You say the mounts are already there under the plastic trim? If so this is somethign I've gotta look into. Thanks

I like the idea of a extra cig lighter in the rear, do you know of any cig lighteres that would make a good clean install?

My voltage inverter runs on a separate circuit so is used to recharge flashlights, laptops, cell phone, GPS etc. Always has power when it is switched on.

Hood vents are not a great idea for me... unlike most of you in the south, most of the year I have more troubles being too cold than too hot.In the winter I block 2/3rds of the radiator and also my snorkle opens under the hood to pull warm air to heat up the engine faster.

I'd be glad to post pics if I had any idea how. Most of it is pretty basic. The kill switch I won't post or else what's the reason for having it. It's basically just an hidden interupt switch into a critical circuit. The Hidden jack stand is a 2 1/2 tonne jack stand that tucks into the center of my full size space in the stock place. Much safer than changing a tire or doing emergency repairs on a jack. This is all covered with a fleece blanket that makes it dissapear and provide an emergency use blanket (live in a cold climat)

The hidden toolboxes are 1) an aftermarket Lido storage (locking) in the back of the rig, a narrow one the tucks under/between the driver's seat and the door, clips on to the driver's seat frame. Also tools tucked as you would expect in the center console and glove box. You can never have too many tools after all... don't forget the duct tape.

The 10$ snorkle is 2" plumbing fittings with a trap clean out plug in the stock airbox, this makes it so I can open or close the snorkle part with a quick twist off. The front of the airbox has a thin steel plate and rubber gasket that attaches in an open position and a closed position to control airflow. Also easy to change in like a minute. I'm still debating if I want to run it into the vent/wiper morot area or leave it under the hood to scavenge heat.

I'd be happy to post pics if i could figure out how, or can E-mail them to someone who does.

Beached Bones said:

Any more ideas guys?

I bet it'd look really cool if you mounted a rotating disco ball to the ceiling and shined a light on it when you got your fog machine going!

WTF? Fog machine??

Fog machine? You get that effect when the rear main seal leak splashes on the hot exhaust...

Beached Bones said:
Hi guys...

An Oh sh*t haddle on driver's side.... that sounds good. You say the mounts are already there under the plastic trim? If so this is somethign I've gotta look into. Thanks

I like the idea of a extra cig lighter in the rear, do you know of any cig lighteres that would make a good clean install?

My voltage inverter runs on a separate circuit so is used to recharge flashlights, laptops, cell phone, GPS etc. Always has power when it is switched on.

Hood vents are not a great idea for me... unlike most of you in the south, most of the year I have more troubles being too cold than too hot.In the winter I block 2/3rds of the radiator and also my snorkle opens under the hood to pull warm air to heat up the engine faster.

I'd be glad to post pics if I had any idea how. Most of it is pretty basic. The kill switch I won't post or else what's the reason for having it. It's basically just an hidden interupt switch into a critical circuit. The Hidden jack stand is a 2 1/2 tonne jack stand that tucks into the center of my full size space in the stock place. Much safer than changing a tire or doing emergency repairs on a jack. This is all covered with a fleece blanket that makes it dissapear and provide an emergency use blanket (live in a cold climat)

The hidden toolboxes are 1) an aftermarket Lido storage (locking) in the back of the rig, a narrow one the tucks under/between the driver's seat and the door, clips on to the driver's seat frame. Also tools tucked as you would expect in the center console and glove box. You can never have too many tools after all... don't forget the duct tape.

The 10$ snorkle is 2" plumbing fittings with a trap clean out plug in the stock airbox, this makes it so I can open or close the snorkle part with a quick twist off. The front of the airbox has a thin steel plate and rubber gasket that attaches in an open position and a closed position to control airflow. Also easy to change in like a minute. I'm still debating if I want to run it into the vent/wiper morot area or leave it under the hood to scavenge heat.

I'd be happy to post pics if i could figure out how, or can E-mail them to someone who does.

Yeah, all you have to do for the "Oh sh!t" handle is drill the holes in that trim piece. If you want to email me any pictures, i'll post them for you.
Billy

Last edited:
1) Big old-school compass (the ones that are globes and about the size of a cue-ball to put on your dash so the world can see.

2) Get those cool footprint cromish brake, gas, and clutch pads.

3) the all time favorite bull horns on the hood

4) my personal favorites, mud flaps with the naked girl on them (all truckers love them)

5) You need a CB channel on your rear window.

6) tiger print seat covers

7) wall mart spinner hub caps

Yucca-Man said:
Fog machine? You get that effect when the rear main seal leak splashes on the hot exhaust...

Fog juice smells better though

Wish i had some pics from how I did up my jeep last halloween. blood, smoke strobe, skulls and bones...

Making the doors removeable would be cheap.

dandecicco said:
1) Big old-school compass (the ones that are globes and about the size of a cue-ball to put on your dash so the world can see.

2) Get those cool footprint cromish brake, gas, and clutch pads.

3) the all time favorite bull horns on the hood

4) my personal favorites, mud flaps with the naked girl on them (all truckers love them)

5) You need a CB channel on your rear window.

6) tiger print seat covers

7) wall mart spinner hub caps

HAHAHA I'm sure that would get people's attention.... BUT I'm single and don't really want to stay thay way.

Back