• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crossmember HELP!!! How do I

XJ91

NAXJA Forum User
How do I remove the crossmember?
Where on the tranny do I place my jack?

I had my jack under the crossmember to lower it, got pass side out but it wouldn't drop. :gonnablow So I managed for now to at least replace the Bolt & Stud with new bolts.

The drivers side is where my problems begin..... :shocked: The bolt was already busted off, so I decide to drill and use my backout tools. Well wouldn't you know the remover busts in the bolt... :doh: That will be a chore to get out. The othe nut came off the stud but I can not get the stud off. :gonnablow I've tried using visegrips, worked for the other side.

So I would like to remove the crossmember and work on the stud and busted bolt. But I'm at a loss as to where to support the tranny/tcase with my jack..

All help will be greatly appreaciated...

ThanX in advance...

Someone out there has taken a crossmember off?

I've gone through my FSM and Chiltons and niether explain how to remove it.

Use plywood on the tranny pan like JNJ said.

You can drill out the old bolts completely and retap them for 7/16" bolts. If you get right in the center there is plenty of area left to have enough support for the new threads. I have done this on almost evry XJ/MJ i've owned do to bad stock bolts.

mark

JnJ said:
I place a 12"x8"x2" piece of wood between the jack and the tranny pan and jack it up.

I did exactly this, my would was a diff size though.

Not one of the 4 bolts/nuts were on the crossmember and it still did not want to drop.

Mark Hinkley said:
Use plywood on the tranny pan like JNJ said.

You can drill out the old bolts completely and retap them for 7/16" bolts. If you get right in the center there is plenty of area left to have enough support for the new threads. I have done this on almost evry XJ/MJ i've owned do to bad stock bolts.

mark

That's what I'd like to attempt but I still need the crossmember out of the way.

There is a rubber like peice that hold the crossmember to the T-case. Look directly up from under the crossmember in those 4 oval like holes(on the bottom of the crossmember itself. There are 4 nuts that need to be taken off before it can drop.

freerider15 said:
There is a rubber like peice that hold the crossmember to the T-case. Look directly up from under the crossmember in those 4 oval like holes(on the bottom of the crossmember itself. There are 4 nuts that need to be taken off before it can drop.

ThanX

:doh: I'm just about ready to use the FSM/Chiltons as kindling. Not a mention of bolts in the middle.

something similar happened to me the other week... one bolt stripped and the stud was stuck in there. i tried everything, like the double nut, heat, stud remover, vicegrips, but it didnt come out. i ended up cutting it, drilling it out, and retapping it.

brandon
just retap it to accept 12mmx1.50mmx35mm bolts

Back