• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Handling quirks after leaf conversion...

TB-XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Okay my leaf conversion is done and I had an alignment, I am noticing some concerns in my steering characteristics now though. Here is what I am experiencing.

While moving in a straight line (street driving) it seems the Jeep wants to steer itself and I have to fight with it abit to keep it straight (constant left and right steering adjustments). If you turn the wheel slightly, it really wants to take off that direction (wheel stays there and does not try to return to center). When I move the steering wheel slightly to check for play, there is none, everything that should move is moving. The steering stabilizer I used is rather old and may be shot but other than that any ideas? Is this just bump steer? It seems like it wouldn't be safe for highway speeds.

Thanks guys!

Got any pics of your setup? What front axle did you use and what steering setup? It sounds like a combination of loose springs with no trackbar and poor steering angles to me, but it's hard to tell without pics or more info.

Ary

I used a Wagoneer Dana 44, fabbed up high steer (pitman arm welded on passenger side of axle) and the specs were right on at the alignment shop, he even showed me they were correct for a 91 XJ.

Here are a few pics:

Picture_589.jpg

Picture_590.jpg

Picture_592.jpg

Show a pix of a side view showing the pinion angle. I bet you need to shim the axle to get your caster back. What did the alignment shop say it was?

WOW!Thats going to make me have nightmares tonight!

Why is the steering stabilizer mounted to the leaf spring?

Also, it sounds like you have typical bumpsteer. Got any pics of the pinion angle and the caster angle on the ball joints?

That "high steer" arm looks pretty un-safe... are you driving this on the street?

That's some scary stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Highsteer arm not only looks unsafe it looks in a completely wrong position to even work correctly.

I won't even go into the SS setup.

I would seriously look into some major redesign, get some help with it if necessary. Make sure and take this advice to heart and do it, let's not get hurt or hurt anyone if that is driven on the street.

mark

is the shackle on the rear of the springs?

Yes the shackles are in the rear, I had a shop do the work, he had done this same high steer setup on a Wrangler before and it is holding up under 38's, I'm running 32's and yes I drive it daily. The stabilizer is mounted to a custom bracket on the leafs because there was simply no where else to put it. Asa far as re-design thats a matter of money and I already owe this guy about a grand in labor, so right now I can't do that. If you think it's so bad I'll get rid of the goddamn thing, I'm really sick and tired of not being able to get what I want and wasting money I don't really have. Some of us can't do this stuff ourselves so we have to pay others to do it. Then you ask some wuestions on a board only to be nitpicked to death by people telling you everything looks like ass.

I should have bought a Honda and joined a Ricer club.

TB-XJ said:
Yes the shackles are in the rear, I had a shop do the work, he had done this same high steer setup on a Wrangler before and it is holding up under 38's, I'm running 32's and yes I drive it daily. The stabilizer is mounted to a custom bracket on the leafs because there was simply no where else to put it. Asa far as re-design thats a matter of money and I already owe this guy about a grand in labor, so right now I can't do that. If you think it's so bad I'll get rid of the goddamn thing, I'm really sick and tired of not being able to get what I want and wasting money I don't really have. Some of us can't do this stuff ourselves so we have to pay others to do it. Then you ask some wuestions on a board only to be nitpicked to death by people telling you everything looks like ass.

I should have bought a Honda and joined a Ricer club.

Well, if you paid for it, have the guy who designed it fix it. I'm sure you didn't want to pay for bumpsteer. If he doesn't honor his workmanship, I would hold payment.

Don't get bent out of shape, dude. People are trying to help you. Bump steer, which most lifted rigs have in some form, doesn't seem to be the issue. The issue is caster on your front axle. Need to see some pics of the pinion side.

No offense, my friend, but that "high steer" setup is scary ridiculous. If you paid someone a grand to do that, you did get taken. Not busting your balls at all, man, just trying to help.
d

That high steer contraption is not just ridiculous, its so un-bloody-safe it makes me sick. I don't think any of us are intentionally trying to be pricks about it, but we have to share the road with everybody - and with hack-jobs like that on the road it makes it pretty scary.

Whoever built that must have missed out on suspension and steering 101. Never never NEVER weld something to your steering knuckle to control your steering. Its been done and people have died - period.

this stuff isnt hard to fix...the steering can be corrected, check out some spring over wrangler and samuri fix's...pinion angle can be fixxed cheap too...first do the steering, it shouldnt be expensive to replace the piece from the pitman arm to the tierod...no sweat

Back