• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Popping Sound

Cujo

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a '94 XJ, running 35's, front end is D-30, with TJ shafts, 4.56's and Lock-Rite. Whenever I'm in 4wd (lo or hi), and I get on the gas, or climb a hill, or pull someone out, (basically, under stress) I get a popping sound from the right front end. It sounds like it is coming from the right hub area. It did it both when I had stock gears and open diff, and now with 4.56 and lockers. It almost sounds like the outer shaft is slipping in the hub. Anyone ever heard of this? Any other ideas.

I don't believe it to be moter mounts because it only happens in 4wd. If it was motor or tranny mounts, it would twist\pop when I stomped the gas in 2wd also.

i had the same experience. it was either A. messed up front hubs (non-servicable of course) or B. one f'd up u joint in my front drive shaft. since i had both my hubs and ujoint replaced before i tested anything out, i cant be sure which it was. how is your lockrite working? maybe it needs a rebuild or something

Lock-Rites fine, like I said, it did it before I even installed the lock rite, so I don't think that's it, and I replaced my front drive shaft u-joint about 8 months ago, and it did it before and after that also. What exactly was the problem with your hubs to make you replace them both?

I'm hearing the same thing from the left front under the exact same situation. If you find out what it is let me know too.. Mean while i'm searchinggggggg

i am also getting a popping noise in 4wd but only at highway speeds. took the driveshaft out to see if it was the transfer case and the t-case is good. just replaced both u-joints so those are good. If it was the hub assembly wouldnt that "pop" in 2wd also since it spins whenever the jeep moves?

mine made a similar noise, turned out to be play in the upper left control arm. the bolt hole was a little egg shaped from wear. it does it in 4wd because the front axle twists from the torque. hard to say without hearing it but thats what mine was.

Had the same popping noise and finally tracked it to drivers side axle ujoint, had two dry caps.

had a click noise similar to yours on the passenger front shaft, couldnt figure it out, then when i got my lift and new LCA's it was gone - must have been the old LCA hole.

check your front suspention bolts and see if they are to torq specs...
good luck!
HTH

Here's my 2 cents...... I take it, you all have aftermarket control-arms..... Check the Flex-Joints (Johnny-Joints) they could be going bad and they will pop.. make sure trackbar and all of the control-arms are tight.

Back