• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lift question

gump

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so I'm running a 3" Rough Country A.A.L kit, and I'm thinking of adding a
1 3/4 spacer in front and a 2" block in back. I still have stock control arms and track bar. Will this be too much for them? I'm sure the track bar will have to be replaced/altered, I'm just wondering about the control arm length being a problem.

5 inches is too much for stock control arms, i have seen then get mangled on trails. Also you should do an adj track bar as well. You will hear many diffferent opinions and mine is that beyond 3/3.5 inches you will need new arms and track bar

At stock length unless you get Drop Brackets, those control arms are going to be at steep angles and will probably cause some harsh DW. AAL+block in the rear? That's just nasty.... I concur with the adjustab;e trackbar, but recommend you go with something better than the rear parts plan and look for some longer control arms.

Im doing the same thing.Youll probably need a transfer drop kit also along with a trac bar bracket. Im runnin a set of lower controll arms i ordered from Rough country. I think they were 80 er 90 bucks and they are huge!

think about throwing some shackles on instead

Yeah, I'm not lovin' the block idea either, but I have severe doubts that I'll get that rear shackle apart without destroying something in the process (Minnesota = much rust). Do you think I could get away with just lower arms? Just looking for the cheapest way to gain a couple inches. Thanks for all the input!

i was running 3" with only lowered arms, then i just added a bb w/shackles two days ago, it works fine for me. i do get very slight vibes over 75, but with stock gears i can hardly get up that high anyways so it is not a problem. consider goin with shackles and just pb blast the hell out of it for a bout a week. dont forget ymmv. if you have something else to drive, just do it and then see what happens.

gump said:
Yeah, I'm not lovin' the block idea either, but I have severe doubts that I'll get that rear shackle apart without destroying something in the process (Minnesota = much rust). Do you think I could get away with just lower arms? Just looking for the cheapest way to gain a couple inches. Thanks for all the input!

Yes you can, but i wouldn't trust an OEM pack with an AAl and 2" Blocks. This is what happen to mine after a granite hill climb.

DSCF0015.JPG

2DSCF0016.JPG

Chuck - that's all sortsa ugly!! Get some vibes from that didja?

Ouch! I see your point about the blocks. I don't drive the old girl daily, so I can afford a little "PB marinating" time. I actually found a break in the right main leaf about 1/3 of the way up the front wrap, so I'll be going after the shackle anyway I guess! That would have to be an awful long shackle to get 2 inches of lift wouldn't it? Jeepin_rebel, are you talkin' 80 or 90 bucks per side or for a set? I can't seem to find any sets of LCA's for under 200 bucks.Or were you talking about LCA drop brackets? I had those on my other XJ and I hated 'em with a passion! Every set of moguls, evry rock climb with a ledge, I would get hung up on 'em. I'm starting to wonder if it would cost the same to just get a bigger lift kit!

Last edited:
If you are handy with fab'n, you might think about modifying your leaf packs. Sounds like you need to get a replacement spring pack anyway since one is broken, so if you are hitting the junk yards, get two sets of spring packs. Take them apart, steal the top leaf with the bushings on it, and cut the bushing ends off. Add this leaf to the standard pack just under the top leaf, and put your AAL back on. It will give you at least a couple of inches and does a pretty good job. I ran mine like that for a couple years of pretty hard wheeling and have helped several others do the same. It's not the best but it is radically better than running blocks.

I have also see where some guys run Dakota leafs. You would have to do some searching but it might be a cheap alternative.

If you break down and buy springs I can recommend the springs BigOffroad sells. They are his own perscription that is custom made by Alcan and they are great, not cheap, but great. Be warned, the ones they call 3.5" yield 5-6".

Back