• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP 242 front output yoke

sidriptide

nobody of any consequence
well i found out what my front-end vibration above 40 mph was... wasnt a bad ujoint like i thought.. i also thought it might be the slip splines, nope... my front yoke was LOOSE!!!! it had somehow backed itself off a little.. i removed the shaft and looked into the yoke where the nut was and there was what appeared to be part of a thin black plastic gear or shim of some kind being squeezed out from under the nut.... i pulled it out with some pliers and it was part of a circular flat plastic ring with "gear-like" teeth around the outside of it... after i pulled it out i cranked the yoke nut another full turn almost.... was this some kind of spacer or shim that goes under the nut? it appeared to have been "squashed" out under the load on the nut.... i cant find any exploded view pics of the t/case right now.. anyone know what this part is? or was it some kind of "bandaid" the previous owner put there to fix a loose yoke?? what does the speedo gear look like? my speedo has never worked but i dont see how a part of the gear could have worked itself out of the case with bearings in the way....

any ideas? thanks

mike

Back