• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC problems

CJS

NAXJA Forum User
This is on a 98' XJ. The AC worked fine all spring and then all of a sudden quit working. I've checked fuses, connections, pressure, etc. but they all check out. The clutch on the compressor is not engaging or even trying to engage so I am not sure if it is bad or something is either not telling it to engage or something is telling it not to engage. Hopefully someone can help me out here as I hate having my windows open.

TIA
CJS

I'm not sure how to check if it has power to it b/c it looks like the where the power goes in is sealed?? I'll put gauges on it tomorrow but I really don't think the system is low as it never has been before and the ac lines and everything are perfect with no signs of leaks.

TIA
CJS

it still could be low on refrigerant. you may not notice a leak under the hood but it could be leaking inside the dash. to check for power at the compressor you need a volt meter or a test light and probe the wiring at the compressor plug. it should show charging system voltage while running with the a/c on.if there is power there the compressor clutch is bad. if not, probably low a/c charge

Did you check the relay? If you have a relay. My '89 has one.

Is the compressor clutch fairly easy to change? I believe that is the problem as I have power but the clutch won't engage.

TIA
CJS

its pretty much a remove one and install the other but you need apuller to remove the clutch and snap ring pilers to get the pulley off. if you go with factory parts, i believe it doesnt cost much more for the complete compressor that comes with the clutch.

Back