• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear window mod

I

imma honky

Has anyone ever converted the rear window so that it can be completely removed? So it locks from the inside and still maintanes waterproof integrety. I want to do this for when i put down my windows so I get less drag and more airflow.

I haven't seen it done on an XJ, but your best bet would be to find a high profile custom audio/body shop that does this sort of stuff for NOPI type street cars. If they can turn a back window into a saltwater aquarium, they can definitely make yours removable.
They usually charge an arm and a leg for this sort of stuff, but if you could just talk to a tech, and get some ideas, it should help you out a lot.

Kool, I wil ltry that. Maybe now that its summer ill have some time to try some stuff out.

You won't get better airflow, though. What you'll get is exhaust gas sucked back into the passenger compartment.

Umm my rear window fell out about a month ago.

Havent put it back in yet, and so far i havent lost any brain cells....

Im in the process of putting it back in though.

Eagle said:
You won't get better airflow, though. What you'll get is exhaust gas sucked back into the passenger compartment.
Dust and dirt too. My rear glass is always needing to be cleaned (no wiper) from everything that gets stuck to it from backdrafts.

Static-XJ said:
Dust and dirt too. My rear glass is always needing to be cleaned (no wiper) from everything that gets stuck to it from backdrafts.

What did I do?????:D

I think what you all are missing is that he wants to do this with the windows down, I think the air would flow in through the side windows, converge in the passenger cabin, and flow out the back. I agree, that if the rear window is the only one left open, that the fumes will enter the cabin, but I feel the positive pressure inside the cabin with all of the windows open will override the negative pressure behind the XJ due to it's aerodynamics(or lack thereof). JMHO

Ary

Lacktherof? What'chu talking about Ary? The XJ is perfectly aerodynamic. Just like a nice shiny new brick! Remember, if you drop a brick from a high enough place it'll go real fast!

Ary'01XJ said:
I think what you all are missing is that he wants to do this with the windows down, I think the air would flow in through the side windows, converge in the passenger cabin, and flow out the back. I agree, that if the rear window is the only one left open, that the fumes will enter the cabin, but I feel the positive pressure inside the cabin with all of the windows open will override the negative pressure behind the XJ due to it's aerodynamics(or lack thereof). JMHO

Ary

Ary, you're not old enough to remember station wagons with roll-down rear windows. I am. There is no "positive pressure inside the cabin." Opening the side windows will increase, not decrease, the amount of exhaust fumes sucked into the cabin.

So should I just scrap this idea? 4runners have this option.....
Or should I say to hell with my remaining brain cells and huff some exhaust.

Eagle said:
Ary, you're not old enough to remember station wagons with roll-down rear windows. I am. There is no "positive pressure inside the cabin." Opening the side windows will increase, not decrease, the amount of exhaust fumes sucked into the cabin.

Interesting, my exhaust dumps right underneath the Jeep anyway, but I coulda sworn that there was positive pressure in the cabin. Oh well...

Ary

Eagle is correct about the exhaust fumes entering the cabin if the rear window is open. I, too, am old enough to remember station wagons with roll down tailgate windows. I also remember the ONLY time that exhaust fumes did NOT enter the cabin was when the car was stopped.

The problem is that the back of a car is a negative pressure area any time it's moving forward. Thus causes the exhaust to get sucked up into the rear of the car, even if your exhaust exits the side of the vehicle.

imma honky said:
So should I just scrap this idea? 4runners have this option.....
Or should I say to hell with my remaining brain cells and huff some exhaust.

I used to run without the rear window in my YJ. There was enough airflow from the open window to lift light items from the backseat and slam them into the dashboard.

I'd still go for it. Can't be any worse than the exhaust from the 100 automobiles in front of you, that's rolling in through your front windows and vents..;)

Well my wifes 4runner must be different than a station wagon because when ever I get a chance to drive it I roll the back window down. I dont notice any exhaust entering at all. air seems to excape the passanger cabin faster when its rolled down. We picked up some fumes form a truck ahead and rolled the front windows down and as soon as we rolled down the back the fumes were gone. Just my experiance with it.

I too was brought up on big ford country squires and rear cargo seats. Pre AC days, pull open floor vents and 60mph air. Rear window open, front floor vents open, flow thru out the rear. Open rear window and either both or one window vent and air flow was from rear to front. Open all the windows and it was wind tunnel time. I also seem to remember that it made a difference whether the exhaust pipe was on the side or the rear and it had to be behind the rear axle.
Then resonable priced AC came along, IIRC in 64 AC cost over $1800 as an option.....

So it sounds like my idea is sound. I do not plan on riding with the back window out UNLESS all 4 windows are down as well....
Now that I have a little support, anyone got any ideas on how this can be done? I know a professional window installer who may be able to do some of the work for free, but I pay for parts....

I agree, My dads 4runner has the rool down back window. What A great idea. Gotta give it up to Toytoa for the foward thinking. Open the windows add a sun roof and ditch the back window, now thats a summer ride!

Don't the ZJ's have opening rear windows, might be able to adapt or graft that part onto an XJ rear gate. I know the liberty does also but I did not pay much attention to that when I did the test drive.

My '85 bronco had the rear window...Drive around with the window down and the door windows open...get out after a 2 hour trip, smell like exhaust....

Forward thinking?!?!?! No, The window in the Bronc and the 4 runner go down so you can open the rear gate...with the window up it will not come down. Ingenius....

Back