• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

phone antenna

Georgia Jeep

NAXJA Forum User
Browsing around the junkyard today and i noticed another 1989 xj with the same cell phone antenna as mine. Wondering if laredo that year came with cell phone antenna and any creative suggestions with what to do with it might come to mind. Before any smart comments come rollin in i just want to say i dont want to stick it anywhere but in the air

scrap it? thats what i did on my 90. it had the whole nine yards. tossed it in the trash. you might be able to use it for cb?

Browsing around the junkyard today and i noticed another 1989 xj with the same cell phone antenna as mine.

Chances are, the same local company installed both. Having said that, unless you're using an old analogue phone (I'm assuming it's an analogue antenna for an old AMPS phone given that it's an '89), don't use it with your current cell carrier unless you're on AT&T's TDMA service (or still on analogue).

Wondering if laredo that year came with cell phone antenna and any creative suggestions with what to do with it might come to mind. Before any smart comments come rollin in i just want to say i dont want to stick it anywhere but in the air

No idea, but it's tuned for 824 - 848MHz. CB's on 27MHz, so it's not even a harmonic frequency. Spend the $16 at Rat Shack for the mag-mount CB antenna before wasting your time putting lost signal through it.

Last edited:
The only vehicle that I'm aware of in the affordable price range that came factory with a cell phone was chrylsers, they had one in the driver side sunvisor that was a flip down, old analog system, but it was the first of the real hands free models....

just saw a cell phone style (trough the glass) antenna that was a cb antenna at walmart last night dident look to close but im starting to think about trying it out just for fun.

i have a old mount on the jeep now can anyone tell me it there is a whole in my glass. the kit for the cell style cb antenna dident look like it requred one. i had asumed that i would have a whole if i ever took the mount off.

Cliff said:
just saw a cell phone style (trough the glass) antenna that was a cb antenna at walmart last night dident look to close but im starting to think about trying it out just for fun.

If it's tuned for the CB band, it might even work reasonably well.

i have a old mount on the jeep now can anyone tell me it there is a whole in my glass. the kit for the cell style cb antenna dident look like it requred one. i had asumed that i would have a whole if i ever took the mount off.

Not necessarily. There were antennas made that required drilling, but the majority of them worked via RF induction through the glass - so you'll have on panel stuck to each side of the glass, but no hole.

For what it's worth, Radio Shack's CB antennas are actually fairly decent and are probably going to work a bit better than the one you're contemplating.

is there an easy way to tell if my old mount is the trough the glass or has a whole if it was a throught the glass then im going to scrape that sucker off

Cliff said:
is there an easy way to tell if my old mount is the trough the glass or has a whole if it was a throught the glass then im going to scrape that sucker off

Remove the casing surrounding the inner antenna panel and look in there. If the backing surface is entirely flat, then there's probably no hole drilled. If you can't open up the casing by itself, try removing the inside antenna panel altogether. Most likely it's the induction type, though - the ones that required drilling were never very popular for obvious reasons.

Back