• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installing cruise control

casm

NAXJA Forum User
Under the heading of 'basic things I'd like to get out of the way': my XJ (2001, 6-cyl., auto, 4WD, 4-door) didn't come from the factory with cruise control. If I didn't have a lead right foot this wouldn't be an issue, but since I do it's kind of essential for me if I want to keep my driving record clean.

How bad a job is the install? I'm looking at my Haynes manual, which is really useless in this particular case - it doesn't detail the removal procedure at all well, so I can't get a feel for how bad the install's likely to be. Quite honestly, there are other things I'd rather spend the money on ahead of it but since I'm looking at doing some sporadic long-distance driving over the next few months I'm trying to justify bumping it up on the to-do list.

www.jeepsareus.com has a cruise control kit that has all the stuff you need. You will need to remove the driverside airbag and put in a new clock spring assembly to accomodate the extra switches and new center steering wheel cover with the cruise control switches in it. Takes about an hour. I have put two in over the past 4 years for friends, one on a 98 and one on a 99. Just be careful handling the air bag once it's out. Keep it out of direct sunlight and when you put it down on a workbench put it with airbag facing up. Cover it with a clean towel while working on the rest of the package. When you put it back in and get everything reassembled, reconnect the battery. What I do the first time I turn the key and start it up is recline the seat all the way back so my mug is out of the direct line of fire should it pop....
If you are investing in this kind of stuff I would STRONGLY recommend you pickup a factory service manual and consider it as part of the *investment* of the cruise control install. As I remember the cost of the cruise control 'kit'' from jeep is in the $150 or $190 range from the dealer and has everything you need.

RichP said:
www.jeepsareus.com has a cruise control kit that has all the stuff you need.

Yep, this is exactly the one I was looking at. I'm assuming it also includes the actuator, etc. for the throttle cable?

Takes about an hour.

Thanks, that doesn't sound too bad. My main concern was with the complexity of the job, but short ones usually aren't that difficult. I'm guessing that if this is the case the harness for the switches on the wheel is already there and that the switches plug straight in - no wiring required? My main concern was that I'd end up having to tear the dash / steering column apart to run wiring to the ECU, or from the ECU to the actuator.

As I remember the cost of the cruise control 'kit'' from jeep is in the $150 or $190 range from the dealer and has everything you need.

$375 was the lowest I could get on it from four different LA-area dealers, so I decided to go the Jeepsareus route. I've ordered stuff from them before (luggage cover and a same-time impulse purchase of a locking gas cap) and have been happy with their service. The FSM's also on my shopping list.

Last edited:
i would recommend the factory accessory kit over some aftermarket install. with the factory you can at least get it serviced by knowledgeable techs. if you go with aftermarket, make sure they have some customer support the guide you through any repairs you may need. it is hard to get a shop to mess with aftermarket accessories like that because they have no diagnostic aids. i would look on e-bay for a kit. the factory kit is an easy install.

i installed a kit from jeeprus that I purchased on ebay ($35 IIRC). It was an original jeep kit and came with instructions that were clear. VERY straight forward installtion, no wiring problems whatsoever. It's really just as simple as unplugging one and plugging in the other. Do follow the instructions as they detail how to disarm the airbag.

I love cruise control......... it really fits my lazy a$$.. :)

HTH

I put a kit in my '96 a little while ago...the hardest part was taking off the steering wheel, and that is only because I didn't have a puller. :)

Back