• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

which is better for DD???

Sephrion

NAXJA Forum User
4.10 or 4.56 gears? keep in mind i've got the 8.25 rear so i cant go with 4.88 but my XJ is mainly a DD and i've got 31's on it now, and the 3.07s are killing me...... someone make up my mind already

I have 4.56:1 for my 88 4.0 automatic DD, and I'll either be on 30" or 31" rubber. I considered, purchased, then sold a set of 4.10:1, mainly because I have a spare front axle already built with the 4.56:1 gears and a true-trac limited slip diff.

My commute is rural: rolling hills, twisty backroads...ten stop signs in 30 miles, and the Jeep sees little to no highway use.

Speed_racer said:
Woody, 4.56 gears and a 30" tire is going to do much more damage then good.

for a 4.0 with 31's (if you dont plan on getting bigger) id go with 4.10's

Damage to what? Redline on my 4.0l tach is 5000 RPM...

What IS your PERSONAL experience with this? Or are you relying on somebody elses heresay or some goofy internet calculator? If ya want to rely on secondhand info, don't cry when ya don't like the answer.

In the past 5 years with XJs and MJs, I've PERSONALLY run 33" on 3.07:1, 3.55:1, and 4.56:1; also 31" on 3.55:1 and 4.56:1... I like acceleration and saw no fuel mileage penalty running the lower (higher numerical) gears, either around town or on the interstate.

I am running 32's (measuring 31 1/4) with 4.56's in my DD.
15 miles of interstate. the only time I worry is in triple digit mode...the wind worries more than the crankshaft or rods.

I picked up 2 mpg going from 3.55s to 4.56s.
Acceleration is better, cruising at speed now takes little or no throttle input.

I have never seen 3600 rpm on the highway.

I even ran 235s for S & Giggles. that did get the motor wound up north of 100

well speed wise im not hitting anymore than 75mph on the highway... my usual commute to college is no more than 10mi on backroads... should also mention i have a manual transmission. but sounds like ill go with 4.56:1 gears... how does a locker affect highway driving? im thinking of going with a powertrax just cuz im broke as hell :(

couldn't tell you I have a mini spool in a d44.
it may be cheaper than a locker, haven't checked recently .
if you can find one for the 8.25.
chirps the tires when parking thats about it.
there is a potential for increased tires wear

I have 4.10s with 32's and a manual tranny. Driving around town is awsome with great accerlation and interstate driving isnt too bad. At 80mph my tach reads 3000. I first had 3.55s which sucked and then had 3.73s which didnt rev as high on the highway but not as fun in town. I also have more motor than stock, and more horsepower helps;)

AARON

Back