• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stories from the 'crawl

2offroad

NAXJA Forum User
Made it back home, night run weds 4 & 5 were washed out, thurs ran guardrail and schoolbus had a blast, fri ran slickrock more fun, sat ran down upper 2 more fun. in fact i think it illegal in 3 states to have the time i had at the crawl.

We made it home about 3 hours ago...Man was it a blast this year. Thanks to all to who came out this year and make plans to do it again next year same time same place....

I'm home! Had a blast and Had an adventure on the way home! Will tell more later!

i wished yaw wouldnt have gone home sunday morning cause i had to run lower to buy myself. well i guess run half way up then winch past the ledge due to a broke drive shaft. (yellow xj 381450sx)

Just got home, hope everybody else made it OK. Anybody wanna buy a chopped xj tub with a cage? I'll also have a bunch of springs etc for sale. dave.

Did you talk to Kevin?

Yeah, I got a PM. Did you guy's see the jeep? What do you think the cage/tub is worth? I know the cage was not cheap. Help me out. dave

It's all realative. Me personally I thought it was a nice cage. I know it had to be pricey but personally I'd not pay mor than $500.00... Don't mean to offend but I'm a cheap bastard!

it was a good weekend. we had a lot of carnage in our group overall, but fun non the less...

thank goodness for on-board welders.

it was nice meeting those of you who i did get to meet. :wave:

...went down upper 2 sunday morning with out damage, packed up, and was home by 2:30 am monday morning..hey dustyredneck I saw your yellow xj on the trailer heading out sunday afternoon and would have stayed to watch you if we'd known you were on lower 2...damn....the florida gang had a great time...didnt break anything...a few dents...

Glad to see everyone is getting home safe. I made it home about 9pm last night making pretty good time the entire way, despite the two severe rain storms we passed through. I didn't fair to badly this weekend. I got my brakeline situation taken care of in Murphy. The front brakeline for an '84 Chevy 1-ton makes a great extended brakeline for the XJs.

My carnage list included

1 Mangled exhaust(my jeep now sounds like a f*&#@$ ricer with a fart can
exhaust)
1 Destroyed RE SS brakeline
1 Broken front shock mount
1 Broken rear bumper/tire carrier
2 Mangled front fenders
1 Slightly bullbar
1 Bent TRE(not end itself, not the tie-rod)

All in all not bad, and I'll be back to 100% and ready to run again in a few weeks. It was nice to meet everyone and put faces with names.

Ary

Only 10 hours to get home!!!

Tires I won from NACFest were by the front door when I got home. Wife said the arrived on thursday.. figures. Damn!! 33" BFG MT measure 32.5 and my current 32" worn MTRs measure 30.5". The MTs look HUGE next to my current tires.

Front ring gear was really my only damage except bending the driver door a bit from the tree just before the ring broke. Oh, I also broke my antenna pulling into my garage at home if that counts as carnage.

Pictures coming soon!!!

Last edited:
Safari Ary said:
Glad to see everyone is getting home safe. I made it home about 9pm last night making pretty good time the entire way, despite the two severe rain storms we passed through. I didn't fair to badly this weekend. I got my brakeline situation taken care of in Murphy. The front brakeline for an '84 Chevy 1-ton makes a great extended brakeline for the XJs.

Ary

it was nice meeting you and jennifer.

did you go up and through asheville - winston-greensboro-raleigh? i hit some pretty bad showers too.

i say carnage counts till you unpack.

Kat said:
it was nice meeting you and jennifer.

did you go up and through asheville - winston-greensboro-raleigh? i hit some pretty bad showers too.

Yup, up 74 to 40 and then up 85 once we hit Durham. The worst showers we hit were between Emporia and Franklin though. Couldn't see 10 yards in front of you and people were passing me at 75 :eek:

You going to camp jeep? I'm not planning to, although I might venture up for a day and see if i can find a way to sneak in :firedevil :D

Ary

Safari Ary said:
You going to camp jeep? I'm not planning to, although I might venture up for a day and see if i can find a way to sneak in :firedevil :D

Ary

not planning on it but i live pretty close to oak ridge so let me know if you do. isn't adam a guide? you could ride with him?

tellico04naxja0013.jpg

Heres my first of a few bad lines on guardrail...
tellico04naxja0009.jpg

as far as I got on one of the bad lines...front locker would have been handy
tellico04naxja00042.jpg

and my uncomfortable adventure on the guardrail bypass....helicopter pad had a dozen rigs lined up so we missed that and rocketed down school bus so fast we missed the hard part????

Kat said:
not planning on it but i live pretty close to oak ridge so let me know if you do. isn't adam a guide? you could ride with him?

Yeah, but I was kinda hoping to sneak my Jeep in too :D One of the guys that works with us is personal friends with the owners of Oak Ridge, so he might be able to get me in. I'll give ya a shout if I head up there.

Ary

yellowxj said:
and my uncomfortable adventure on the guardrail bypass....helicopter pad had a dozen rigs lined up so we missed that and rocketed down school bus so fast we missed the hard part????

did you break on guardrail? why the bypass?

Back