• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Water problems...

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
I have put about 600 miles on my Jeep in the last 2 days. Tonight when I got home, I was cleaning out trash and felt the carpet in the passenger side was damp.

The floor mat is as dry as can be on the top, but when I removed it, the whole floor was wet. It was not wet under the seat at all, just the floor. The liquid is clear, not sticky, and not odorous.

I got under the truck and put my fingers into a hole in the frame rail and there was water in there as well. Not sure how much, but enough that it ran down the back of my hand.

Here is the final part of my quandry. I have not driven through any puddles or rain in the last 3 or 4 weeks with the truck.

I have had the AC on the whole 600 miles. Could I be getting condensation inside, and if so, how come in the frame rail.

Any ideas?

The a/c condensate drain runs down the passenger side frame rail. If it gets clogged, when you run the a/c a lot in humid weather the condesate backs up and overflows inside the passenger compartment.

Where do I find the drain so that I can unclog it myself?

oops...more info...

4.0 Inline 6 engine. 1996 model

Cottontail said:
oops...more info...

4.0 Inline 6 engine. 1996 model
According to your sig you have an 85 XJ and an 86 ZJ. Which are you asking about? Or do you also have a 96 XJ not mentioned in your sig?

The problem is on the ZJ, but I figured that the ZJ and XJ with the 4.0 were virtually the same and that the problems were common to both rigs.

I suppose maybe this should have been on the other tech, so I'll claim "non-specific model believed interchangablility" for posting it here.

the zj is much different than the xj. from inside the passenger side under the dash you are supposed to driaa a small hole in a specific location and blow compressed air through the hole.hold your finger over the hole and the water will run outside. that unclogs the a/c drain. and after all the water runs out, you must seal the hole so it doesnt leak back into the inside. this may be worth taking to a dealer so the hole can be drilled by a tech that is familiar with the problem. drilling in the wrong place can damage the heater case, and it would have to be replaced, and that can be costly. the repiar shouldnt cost much more than one half hour labor.

I just got the word back from the dealership and they are saying that the drill a hole deal is a temporary fix and will only last a few days. Is that true or crap?

They want to take the dash off and cleaning the mesh screen filter and replaing the o-rings--$600+.

What to do?

Back