• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rust and dealer warranty

Steve

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 xj that is still under the extended warranty, and I have discovered rust on the bottom of both of my driver side doors. It is not that bad yet, but I want to take care of it right away. Does anybody have a good way of making the dealer cover the cost for this? I like the dealership and would like to get this resolved without creating a big headache.
Thanks

1. Have you talked to the dealer? If so, what did they say?

2. How many miles on the vehicle? I believe DaimlerChstysler warranted the XJs against rust-through for 5 years/50,000 miles. If you're within that, the dealer should handle it with DaimlerChrysler and the extended warranty wouldn't even come into play.

3. If you're into the extended warranty, the dealer isn't your problem. You have to get the company that underwrites the warranty to authorize the repair, then the dealer can go ahead.

My xj has 64,000 miles on it. The extended warranty is through the dealer (75,000 miles). The only problem is the dealer who sold me the extended warranty (and the Jeep) is back in Chicago. I now live in WA, and obviously have a different dealer. The new dealer has honored the extended warranty before. My greater concern was whether or not they would consider the rust significant or not. I'm guessing ANY rust should be covered, but I've heard horror stories about dealers not wanting to cover this.

Oh, and I haven't talked to the dealer yet. I figured NAXJA would be my best bet as a place to get some info before I talk to the dealer.

rust perforation warranty is 6 years 100000 miles as long as it is a factory defect and not caused by stone chips neglect etc. talk to the dealer service manager and see what he says. if you dont get any help, contact the zone rep.

Back