• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tire on a d35??

jb98xj

NAXJA Forum User
On my 89 that will mostly be a trail rig I'm wondering what tires I should go with. I am going with a RE 4.5" lift with 3/4" coil spacers in the front. It has a d35, ( I think non c-clip ). I have a brand new set of trxus m/t's in my shed. The thing is that I trimmed the fenders a little, so I think I can go bigger. I am planning on a d 44, or chrysler 8.25, but probably not this summer. I saw someone on the JU board that was running the 34" Super Swamper LTB's with a d 35!!! Can I realistically run anything bigger than a 31" on a d35 with an open rear???? Please advise!!!!!!!!

Nobody wants to tell how crappy/alright their dana 35 is??

some people just get lucky with 33's and up on a d35, or they are really light on the pedal. I've been out with people running 33's(TSL) and 32's (BFG MT) who are not that easy on the pedal, and have yet to see them break stuff. With a 34x9.5....just take it easy and I think you'll be fine until the swap with a few spare parts, unless you are one of those unlucky people that have to break every time they go out. knock on wood. _nicko_

I am planning on getting a least one spare set of shafts with me. I'm hoping to have it ready to go by NACfest, we'll see! Thanks for the input.

You're a lucky guy because you have no c-clips in that d35. I had 35x12.5s on it WITH a full locker and had no problems for the 2 years i had them. I was really hard on the pedal and could not break it. All the bad words on the d35 are about the newer c-clip models. The older non-c-clip is a really strong axle.

Go for it :D :D

I think mine is a non c-clip. How can I tell for sure without pulling the cover??

It doesn't matter if it's a c-clip unit or not. They both still have the weak-noodle spider gears,housing and axle tubes. If you're gonna be running a lot of rocky trails with 4++ difficulty ratings,be EASY on it. If you're gonna be running on loosely packed dirt or mud,you should be fine for the time being. Just expect the worst,but hope for the best :D

P.S.-I saw a guy strip the spiders out in a D-35 on a muddy trail once(running on 31-10.50's). OTOH,Roxjeeper's been running 31's on his D-35 since I've known him and to my knowledge he hasn't broken anything in his yet,plus he's not been exactly "easy" on his,either :laugh: So,there's not a dead-set limit on tire size. It's like it was stated earlier,some folks are lucky,and some aren't.

I think it is more of a "You have to know when your right foot doesn't get you through that obstacle" thing. Those people break 44s with 31 tires. :cool: :D

Probably the toughest thing I would be running would be a Paragon Blue 2 or 3. I don't really know how that stacks up, I haven't really been anywhere else yet. I will be switching to a 44, or an 8.25, hopefully by this winter at the latest. Thanks for all of the input, I'm a little less skeptical about them now.

I don't know about the spiders, but my Non c-clip with 4.10 and a lockrite, and 33" MTR's has treated me quite well, no breaky. I would skip the 8.25, unless you get one for free. Stick with the D44 or an 8.8. I guess i'm one of those lucky ones too, but I also have about 3 sets of spare axles for the D35. I have a D44 waiting for me to, but won't get to it until the winter also.

I guess I'm easy on the skinny pedal, remember to crawl like a turtle. HTH :)

XJCHUCK72 said:
I would skip the 8.25, unless you get one for free. Stick with the D44 or an 8.8.

:eek: WHAT??? The 8.25" is a great axle!! Maybe not quite in the 44's ballpark,but still at LEAST twice as strong as a Dana 35 by design/build quality alone!! I've wheeled the crap outta mine(not EASY wheelin',either),welded with 33" Swampers and no breakage yet. And this is the "lowly 27 spline" version at that!:D The only drawback I've seen is the low hanging pinion. But another advantage is you can shave the bottom of the housing around 3/4"-1" and have the same clearance as a 35,with twice the strength.

Well like I said skip it unless you get it for free. A 29 Spline isn't worth 300-400 $$$. Wich most yards will have you pay becuase it's a new axle. For close to that same price you can get yourself a D44 or an 8.8. Bang for the Buck 8.8 wins hands down, even if it is the most expensive of all of them.

8.8, 31 splines, disc brakes, huge tubes

XJCHUCK72 said:
Well like I said skip it unless you get it for free. A 29 Spline isn't worth 300-400 $$$. Wich most yards will have you pay becuase it's a new axle. For close to that same price you can get yourself a D44 or an 8.8. Bang for the Buck 8.8 wins hands down, even if it is the most expensive of all of them.

But, if you think like that then:

I can get many different rear d60s for $150. I also had a front Chevy d60 for $300. Its not always whats the cheapest or bang for your buck, especially if he wants a bolt in.

Well then the XJ D44 is the most bolt in as they get. I know you can find then for around $100. You have to search for them, but they are out there.

Do the D60's require shortening and also new wheels, Master cylinders, Boosters, and all the stuff that would go into an 8.8 conversion. I know most are afraid of any kind of fabrication, but NAXJA is a big help, local Wheelers are a big help. Most of the welding is minimal, the rest is bolt on anyway with the 8.8. If I wasn't getting my D44 for nothing, I would be doing an 8.8.

I ran 34's on my open D35 for awhile. It wasnt until I put a locker in it that I began having problems. With the open dif you shouldnt have problems unless you deserve them...( very hard on the skinny pedal) A D44 is in mine now but the old D35 with a detroit is still running in another Xj with 33"s now.

33's is all would go, my friends 35 died about 2 months after he went to 35's. i plan on a dana 44 before i get 35's

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but a 1989 D35 probably IS a c-clip axle. And shaft or gear breakage isn't the biggest problem with the D35, it's the fact that the tubes and where they fit into the diff housing are on the weak-ish side, and the entire assembly gets bent if you get too enthusiastic.

Eric Thomas has been running 33's on a D35 for years, apparently with no problems. Thinking back over many years of posts, I'd say the consensus is that the D35 is good for up to 32s, and beyond that you're kind of taking your chances.

Back