• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SWAMP LAKE

JTBOSCO

NAXJA Member #426
What's going on for Swamp Lake? When is everyone heeding up. Jes you had mentioined going up on Wed. is that stil the plan. I will be available to leave the Bay Area at noon on the 17th. Let me know, Thanks
JT

Lisa and I will probably head out Thursday morning, if I can get the Jeep fixed.
We're waiting for Frog and his better half, so they can follow us down.

I'll be going up Thursday after work, I expect to get there by 8:00 pm. The place we're camping is in the trees next to the road, and NOT in the Dinkey Creek Campground. I'll repost directions below. We'll need some firewood, so bring a little if you can, and don't forget your bathing suit because we always go for a swim in the lake.

Here are directions to where we'll camp Thursday night. From the north, go south on Hwy 99 and just as you come to Fresno take the Herndon exit, going east. Keep on Herndon all the way across town, then turn left onto Hwy 168 heading to Shaver Lake. From the south, take Hwy 99 to Kingsburg and exit on Mendocino Ave, going north. Continue north through Kingsburg and Sanger until the road dead ends at Hwy 168, then make a right towards Shaver Lake. Stay on Hwy 168, through Prather, then up a very long and steep grade until you come into the town of Shaver Lake. Make a right turn on Dinkey Creek Rd, with signs to Dinkey Creek and Wishon and Courtright Lakes. Stay on Dinkey Creek Rd until you get near the Dinkey Creek Campground, then look closely for a right turn with signs to Wishon and Courtright. This right turn can be easy to miss, especially in the dark, so if you come to the Dinkey ranger station or Dinkey Creek store, or end up in the Dinkey Creek Campground, turn around because you missed the turn. Immediately after making the right turn, you'll cross the Dinkey Creek bridge, then continue about a 1/4 mile to an intersection with a sign that says Camp Fresno. This is a three way intersection, and there are two roads that go to the left, the first road goes to Camp Fresno and the second road is marked 10S36. Turn left on 10S36 and immediately turn right into the trees, where we'll be camping. The campsite is a large area in the tress at the far side of the intersection of the hwy and road 10S36.

There are outhouses close by at the fisherman's picnic area next to Dinkey Creek, at the ranger station, and at the store. There are also showers at the store, plus food, ice and even gas. I always gas up at the station in Prather, but there is also a Texaco at the top of the steep climb, but it doesn't stay open very late. There is gas in Shaver Lake, but again, I don't know how late they stay open. I wouldn't count on the gas at Dinkey, it's very expensive but would work in an emergency. We will head to the Dinkey Creek store on Friday morning to top off any ice chests that need it, then group together at the ranger station. We'll leave for the trail from the ranger station at 8:30 am.

Richard G

i want to leave thursday night/evening!

Ok here is our plans, Theresa and I got off Friday. So we will be driving down Thursday night. Kevin you and Lisa can go ahead and head down that morning. We won't be able to get out of here till around 5PM. So we'll just roll in around midnight or so, if i figure the driving time right. We'll be the late ones.

We try to keep a fire going and a CB on until everyone is there, if we know who's coming in late. Every year someone gets there after midnight.......we'll keep a light on for ya! :D

Richard G

Frog, I think WE"LL both be the late ones!

CRASH

Matt, Marni and I will take you up on the offer for Thursday night. Crash, are you planning on leaving after work on thursday? Maybe we can caravan.

SeanP

Matt, can you put Sean and Marni up inside the house? If they have to re-pack in the morning you guys will never make it up there by the time we leave. :wink:

Oh yeah, you'll still be on the farm so you're used to getting everyone out of the sack at o'dark:30 :lol:

Will you meet us at the ranger station or at the trailhead?

Richard G

sean,

Like I want to to travel with your overheating-blown motor-saggyass-everything-we-own-is-on-the-roof-rack rig all the way down there!

We're driving the rig in to work that day, and then leaving right at 5:00.

I'm not stopping at no farmers house, you never know what he'll do to sabotage my rig while I lay sleeping. :shock:

Jes says the margaritas will be nice and frothy for our arrival at around 10:00, so Lup and i are going all the way.

So, if you want to go all the way, roll with us!

CRASH

I think the only one sabotaging your rig is the guy that’s been wrenching on it. Either way I'll probably meet up with you guys at the entrance to the trail. About what time were you planning on starting Richard? Keep in mind Sean that My wife is an animal freak & has a mini zoo including 4 dogs 2 cats, & 2 miniature horses. If I remember right you guys had gotten those overgrown poodles because someone was allergic to animal hair. If so this may not be the best place for you. Andy, I don't want no state sucking, no good, do nothing, tie wearing, bureaucrat on my land anyway. Your junk would probably fall apart just getting down my driveway. BTW what is this about margaritas, I thought we were drinking Franzia this trip?

Good point matt. Whatchu talkin 'about, Goat? :lol:

Feckos: Looks like caravanning with you is the least-bad option. Don't worry, if my shiat isn't ready, I won't be slowing you down.

SeanP

Boy, that'll make a guy feel wanted!

Least-Bad Crash

we have about 5 jeeps and 1 yota leaving hopefully about 5:00 on thursday.

Back