• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how much pressure

Ramsey

NAXJA Forum User
i have 31x10.50x15 on a 8" wheel. just wondering how low pressure was safe to run without having to worry about losing a bead

Ramsey said:
i have 31x10.50x15 on a 8" wheel. just wondering how low pressure was safe to run without having to worry about losing a bead
You do realize there's no specific pressure that will guarantee your bead will stay on/fall off don't you? Vehicle weight, speed, angle of the turn, tire and rim type, etc will all play a role in helping you lose a bead. The low teens might be good for you while others need to stay in the high teens. Play around with it and find out for yourself what works with your tire/Jeep/terrain combo.

I don't mean to come off like an a-hole on this, but this question reminds me of those cheesy JC Whitney inclinometers...if you need to rely on a flimsy plastic gauge to tell you that you're about to flip over, you need to keep your eyes on the trail instead... :lecture:

you didnt at all. i do realize this about the pressure, i am just trying to get an idea of about where.

I have 235's (retreads, 30"tall btw) and I run 32psi in the front and 27psi in the rear as there is less weight in the back. I started doing this after wrecking the back tires on my Toy Pickup. I bounced all over the road and wore the center section out with the rears at "recommended pressure". Gojeep has some intel on the subject IIRC. See what Marcus has to say. chap knows his stuff. Marcus, oh Marcus!

I think he's after trail pressure (not road pressure)

I'd say "around" 20 psi should be a good starting point, and you can experiment with going lower.

FWIW I noticed a huge differrence in (dry rock) performance going from 16 down to 12 with 33x12.5 BFG-MT on 8" wheels. OTOH this is also getting close to the 'danger-zone' for slipping a bead.

thank you mr. president
:worship:

Back