• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 exhaust manifold in a 90?

BIGSLVRXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I was thinking about getting an exhaust manifold from JeepinAudiophile out of his 2000 for my 90. What would have to be changed for it to fit mine, if anything?

The ports on the 2000 are placed higher on the head and the shape is different. You would have to relocate the dowel pins that locate the manifold, and if you expect any improvment in flow (and why else would you do this) you would also have to do a lot of porting on your head.

All this might gain you 5 horsepower at 4,000 RPM. Your engine is rated at 177 HP and 224 foot-pounds of torque. The HO engine is rated at 190 horsepower and 225 foot-pounds. The torque peak on your engine (think of this as the "sweet spot") is at 2400 RPM. The torque peak on the HO is at 3000 RPM. There are many changes between your 90 and the 2000 besides the exhaust manifold, so even if you do this swap that alone isn't going to get you the whole 13 extra horsepower.

IMHO ... it ain't worth the effort.

That sounds like a lot of work for no real gain. I will probably go Borla. Thanks for the help.

Unless your stock manifold is cracked, why bother?

Don't misunderstand me ... the Borla is a nice header, and it has a million mile warranty. But -- changing the exhaust manifold is a pain in the wazuskiss, you're still only going to pick up a few horsepower, and that's still going to be pretty high up in the RPM range. I know you're young and just getting into this -- why spend money on things that DON'T need to be replaced, when you could use that money for the important things like skid plates, rock rails, tow hooks (remember, you can't enter a NAXJA event without front and rear tow points), tires, lifts, etc.?

On the other hand ... if your stock manifold is cracked, the Borla is the way to go.

Hmmm....this makes me curious. I do have a cracked 96 manifold and a 99 exhaust manifold that's waiting to go in once I have time for it. Is the head the same? I know there were some intake changes that year and figured now would be a better time to find out about imminent problems, before pulling it all apart to find out it doesn't fit.

The exhaust maniflods on the 2000 and 2001 are 2 piece short cast iron type standard stock manifolds. Not like the 91 to 99 HO style tube header. I do agree with eagle that if you are changing the manifold for performance reasons then it really isn't worth the time or effort. If you are replacing a cracked or damaged manifold, then it is worth the money for the borla.

Yucca-man, the 96 and 99 exhaust manifolds are the same. It should bolt right in place of the old one.

Bryan

hmm... i had been under the impression that the 00' manifold could be used on anything 91+, but i guess that i got confused somewhere in my research...

My exhaust manifold is cracked, BADLY! I really dont see a point in putting anything besides Borla or Banks back in because chances are its gonna crack again. It doesnt sound like an exhaust manifold is that tough if you have any mechanical experience. The only reason Id really be blowing a lot of money is if I had to take it somewhere to get it done and unless theres mods that have to be done for replacing the stock manifold to a header I think I can do it. Are there any mods?

If your manifold is cracked, get the Borla.

No mods necessary, but remember that both manifolds come off together. You will need to depressurize the fuel rail on the intake and disconnect it. Before you start, go to a dealer and get a new O-ring for when you connect it up again. At the same time, get a new "donut" gasket for where the exhaust pipe mates up with the manifold.

I don't know if the Borla comes with studs or not. Try to find out, because if not you should pick those up at the dealer too. (The two studs at the outlet end, for the exhaust pipe flange.)

Hey Eagle I know how to depressurize the system i think(its just by pressing on the thing that looks like a valve stem right?) Also the things that are on the fuel rail going into the piece right below the valve cover are fuel injectors right? how do i get those out?

If you are going to the dealer, I'd reccomend also buying the manifold studs that screw in to the cyl head. They tend to break & we have an updated stud & nut.Shouldnt cost more than a couple $$.

Back