• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OEM fan switch

red91

NAXJA Forum User
Fan works from outside electrical input, but doesn't appear to under normal op conditions?

At what temp SHOULD it kick on? And whereis the switch to kick it on? I see one in the thermostat housing... I KNOW I dont have one in the radiator.

Fan should switch on around 215-218*.Sensor is located in the T-stat housing on my 96,I believe all HO engines have that location.
Does the fan run when the AC cycles ?
Wayne

Wayne Sihler said:
Fan should switch on around 215-218*.Sensor is located in the T-stat housing on my 96,I believe all HO engines have that location.
Does the fan run when the AC cycles ?
Wayne

My A/C cycles, but not my fan. Fortunately it doesn't get to hot round here

The sensor in the T-Stat is for the ECU to turn the fan on. I have a 92 but don't really understand the set up. If it were a 90.....different story.

Check your relays in the power distribution block and the ECU codes from ignition switch cycling. Fault code 22addresses coolant sensor voltage, 35 is radiator fan relay, etc.

So if your check engine light is burned out, you will not know if there is a fault! Might check it.

sjx40250 said:
The sensor in the T-Stat is for the ECU to turn the fan on. I have a 92 but don't really understand the set up. If it were a 90.....different story.

Check your relays in the power distribution block and the ECU codes from ignition switch cycling. Fault code 22addresses coolant sensor voltage, 35 is radiator fan relay, etc.

So if your check engine light is burned out, you will not know if there is a fault! Might check it.

CHECKED. Code 55 means all is well. And the headache continues...
But I will go grab a fan realy outta the yard... ( UPDATE )

I am now this month receipient of the DUMB ASS award. ( Blown Fuse )

next time I start at the beginning, not the end... :doh: :doh:

Last edited:
Yes the fan should kick on in the max A/C switch position. Also FYI if you disconnect the temp sensor at the Tstat housing the fan will start while the engine is running and your check engine light will also light. my son's Xj has started to over heat and we found that out looking for the culpret. I have wiring diagrams for a '93.

Back