• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lower Rad Hose With Spring

XJade

NAXJA Forum User
Okay. My curiosity is peaked. I've read on several posts about OEM lower radiator hose with an internal spring. I've never seen one of these hoses. Does the spring run the length of the hose? Or only at both ends? Is the spring molded into the rubber?

Important question: those cheapie lower hoses from Autozone, etc. are prone to collapse or constriction? Should they never be used?

Thanks for any light on the subject.

The lower spring, on most I´ve seen and heard of, is 2-3 (maybe 4) inches shorter than the lower hose (between the inlet and outlet nipples). It is loose in there, and can slide into the radiator outlet or the engine inlet a bit and along with the clearance at the ends allow enough unsupported hose, for it to collapse. Stretching the spring, can help, but often reduces the diameter a bit and allows it to slip easier. The lower hose is often pretty flexible, actually a sign of good material, when it gets hard and cracks, this promotes failure.
Something people forget, is that the pump sucks as well as pushes.
The universal hoses with the built in spring, will work on the lower, takes a bit of planning and guess work. Have to have some extra, to clear the tight spots and not rub too hard on other components and wear through. Often requires, it to be tied to the side, with a large zip tie.

Not all lower hoses have the spring, and you should not use one that doesn't. Some have a short spring, and as 8Mud noted, the short spring may be too short to prevent collapse of the hose. The factory hose has a spring that runs almost the full length of the hose.

The spring is loose inside the hose. When we figured out that this was causing my friend's XJ to overheat on trips, he went to a radiator shop and scrounged a spring from a hose in their junk pile and just slipped it into his lower hose.

Are there upper radiator hoses with springs as well? Or are they not apt to collapse like the lower ones?

How much does the lower hose cost at the dealership? Ball park figure of course.

The lower hose is the one getting water sucked from the radiator -> water pump -> block, but the upper isn't under that type of pressure so it doesn't collapse like the lower is prone to do.

The upper hose does not have a spring, it is on the "push" side of the waterpump. The lower hose is around 10 bucks at O'Rieleys (SP), and does have the spring inside, check to make sure when you buy one. The spring in the lower rad hose has never been a problem, like having to tie the lower rad hose to something, that statement confused me. Anyway, you can go to the stealership and give them 20 or 30 bucks for one if you feel the need to. (Just estimating their price).

Alex

ZombiE said:
The upper hose does not have a spring, it is on the "push" side of the waterpump. The lower hose is around 10 bucks at O'Rieleys (SP), and does have the spring inside, check to make sure when you buy one. The spring in the lower rad hose has never been a problem, like having to tie the lower rad hose to something, that statement confused me. Anyway, you can go to the stealership and give them 20 or 30 bucks for one if you feel the need to. (Just estimating their price).

Alex

I try to keep it shorter than a book. If you use a lower hose (universal type) with the spring molded in the walls, you may have to tie it, to the side for clearance when reinstalling the air box and/or prevent rubbing on the steering box. If your on the road and need a hose and the parts outlet has only the unversal type (straight without the bends/with the spring moulded into the hose) it can be made to work.
Short/slipped/missing spring in the lower radiator hose, is on the list, for most any manufacturers troubleshooting table, for highway speed overheating. Not common, but common enough to be looked at.

Last edited:
I just bite the bullet and buy the OEM hoses, all 4 cost about $60, two rad hoses and both heater hoses. The rad hoses have the spring in the lower and the protective wrappings around them. The heater hoses have the correct end sizes and the correct bends to fit back in the clamps. Just makes life easier..

Back