• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Torque converter questions

earthtiger

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,
I have an AW4 I pulled from a '90. Now, I'm not an auto-tranny wiz, so please bear with me. I pulled the torque converter off the input shaft to look for any problems and found that it was filled with transmission fluid. Since I plan to do the fluid/filter change, I poured out most of what I could, outta the torque converter. Before I install this on another XJ, I imagine I have to fill it back up, how much do I add? Also, I'm finding it very difficult to line up the splines with the "keys" that are at 180 deg. from each other on the tranny input end. It seems as if the gears inside the torque converter move around just enough to prevent me from pushing it all the way in. Any tricks or hints? Am I doing something wrong?
Thanks!
john

ps I did perform a search, but I didn't come up with any clear cut answers.

There are three steps in.

You have to get all three lined up or you will destroy the front pump.

The first is the input shaft splines, second the stator support splines then finally, index the converter hub into the pump drive gear (your key ways).

The easiest way to do this is to support the t/c with on hand on the pilot(the part that goes into the crank shaft) and turning the t/c with the other hand. You should feel all threes steps in. The t/c will end up APPROXIMATELY 1" in from edge of bell housing.

VERY IMPORTANT!
When installing trans, as you are mating trans to engine, continuosly check for clearance between flex plate and t/c. There should not be ANY binding. The t/c should move freely, even when the bellhousing is completely tightened. If it is free then you were correctly indexed to the pump gear.

HTH
Bob

BTW I forgot to mention that you do not have to fill the t/c before installation. It is filled by the pump when running. A good practice is to fill trans until full on dipstick, before starting. This ensures enough fluid in the pan to get started. Have a couple more gallons standing by. Average automatic trans holds about 12 qts. It's good to fill in neutral with drive wheels off the ground and vehicle level. Add fluid until full level, run through ranges, recheck, repeat until vehicle has been run through all gears and checks full on dipstick.

CAUTION: Do not over fill, as this will lead to the fluid becoming aerated(sp). Transmission works on hydraulics priciple ( fluid doesn't compress - gas does) Air in fluid = loss of hydraulic pressure = burnt friction discs.

NOTE: Your t/c is not empty - it won't take a complete refill.

HTH
Bob

Bob,
I did read that the pump will take care of the fluid inside the torque converter, and thanks for bringing it up. I've printed out your instructions and added it to my list of things to do. Many thanks!
john

Back