• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

thermostat?

robert stalberger

NAXJA Forum User
I have been running without my thermostat while wheeling and I was just wondering if it was ok to run it without the thermostat on normal highway driving. I was told by one person that I would run too cold, but I have also been told that it would probably be ok being the weather is so hot during summer months.

Last edited:
robert stalberger said:
I usually run without my thermostat while wheeling.

What's the point in doing that????????????

Never run without the thermostst.

The purpose of the thermostat is to keep the temperature UP. not down. The engine was designed to operate at 195 degrees. The computer operates on a fixed, very rich fuel map ("open loop mode") during warm-up, and when the temperature reaches a certain point (not sure what, but I've heard around 165 degrees) it switches to "closed loop mode," in which it varies the air-fuel mix based on input from the sensors. Running without the thermostat generally leaves you in open loop mode. This wastes fuel, deleivers less than maximum power, and can result in premature failutre of the catalytic converter.

The main reason I run without it is because I have just put in a newer engine with less miles than my old one, replaced everything in the cooling system and ignition system, set my timing and everything else i can think of including hard wiring my aux. fan to a switch and I'm still getting up to about 250 degrees while wheeling. Taking out the thermostat was the only thing I could do to keep it between 195 and 210 degrees besides for running my heater on full blast when it's 100 degrees outside.

robert stalberger said:
"If you don't have time to do it right the first time, where are you going to find the time to fix your mistakes?"

Properly maintained Jeeps manage to run well under 250° with the thermostat. You obviously haven't "replaced everything in the cooling system." Is your system holding pressure?

So let's get the info... What year, what rad did you repl, all parts repl, etc...

Back