• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

chevy 350...

87CherokeeChief

NAXJA Forum User
my buddy wants to put a chevy 350 in an 85 cherokee with a 4cyl. so will this fit, he knows hes gonna have to do a good deal of work but he just wants to know if it will fit without a ton of modification?? thanks everyone...

It has been done several times, there are parts available from Advance Adapters & other suppliers. Do a search.

i just got done with mine. not too much modification. mine is a 96 xj with a 4cyl. it now has a 350/700r4 and 231c. get the bolt on motor mounts and their headers. as far as fabrication, you drill 2 holes in the crossmember for the chevy tranny mount and move the crossmember 4 inches back. thats it. and i highly reccomend the be cool conversion radiator. completely bolt in and keeps it cool. at idle it will run 185 with the radiator in 90 degree weather. also, mine is carbed with the 670 cfm truck avenger. great carb. the hardest part is the wiring its 6 wires, takes a couple hours. and i would definitely do it again!

, ..ya just gotta love those short terse answers," not not even close"
..ZmOz..have you actually DONE this modification ?.or whaa.?-
......87CherokeeChief ,in reply to your question, yes there is some modification-
You should know that ALL XJ'x have about the same dimensions irrespective of different model years- I have an earlier 85-86 XJ 4X4 with the Chevy 350 V-8 5.7 liter carburated engine and 700R-4 transmission-I had replaced my ole underpowered 2.8 three times before in the past at some enormous cost before some knowledgeable people here at the NAXJA forum advised me on this as an option-Again,I would cordially advise anyone to take a look at the Advanced Adapter website and/or order their catalog to look at all the different bellhouseing/transmission,motor mount,transfer case adapters,etc.-And do your homework here at the NAXJA archives-Maybe others who have actually done the short block engine swap here at NAXJA can chime in with their suggestions/comments.-In any case let me know if I can be of additional assistance-

bxj said:
, ..ya just gotta love those short terse answers," not not even close"
..ZmOz..have you actually DONE this modification ?.or whaa.?-

So you're saying a 350 WILL fit without a "ton of modification"? Bullshit.

ZmOz - What do you consider a "ton of modifications"? There's really very little cutting or fab work that is absolutely necessary. The motor mounts and headers are available from AA or Novak, Be Cool has an aluminum radiator that bolts into the XJ (damn it's expensive too), and then upgraded axles (if you plan on hammering on them hard). AA also recommends at least 3" of lift for motor mount clearance. A little ingenuity is required with the cooling system but it's not too bad.

..........ZmOz...
.bullshit......?
.dude,..please offer some constructive advice/criticism, maybe an reasoned rebuttal -
bxj

bxj said:
..........ZmOz...
.bullshit......?
.dude,..please offer some constructive advice/criticism, maybe an reasoned rebuttal -
bxj

All I did was answer his question. Again, NO, a 350 will NOT fit without a ton of modification. That's the answer to the only question he asked. :rolleyes:

Wel Zmoz-- think you could give us the benefit of your sage advice?

What in particular needs to be modified?

burntkat said:
Wel Zmoz-- think you could give us the benefit of your sage advice?

What in particular needs to be modified?

Everything having to do with the engine/transmission? There's nothing wrong with only answering the question somebody asked. If you want to elaborate on it, that's great, but don't bitch at me for being breif...

I think its a great idea and can definitely be done. It just takes some patience and plan on spending more money than you think it will take because it will always happen. My dad and his friends have been building custom street rods for years is the reason I give this advise since they deal with the same kind of situations.

BTW, the 350 is a great choice. If he's got the cash go all out and put a LS1 in it. :guitar:

Last edited:
ZmOz said:
Everything having to do with the engine/transmission? There's nothing wrong with only answering the question somebody asked. If you want to elaborate on it, that's great, but don't bitch at me for being breif...

Well, since his plan is to swap engines, I think expecting to change the engine/transmission/mounts is pretty much, well, expected. So if you're going to so "brief" answering the question, you better be able to explain just what the "ton" of modifications will be. You gave an answer, that doesn't mean answered the question.

Atl XJ said:
I think its a great idea and can definitely be done. It just takes some patience and plan on spending more money than you think it will take because it will always happen. My dad and his friends have been building custom street rods for years is the reason I give this advise since they deal with the same kind of situations.

BTW, the 350 is a great choice. If he's got the cash go all out and put a LS1 in it. :guitar:

I am also going to be installing a small block chevy in my 91 xj, after talking to alot of people on the subject and measuring a few engines i have found out that the never vortec style chevy's(5.3,5.7,6.0) have wider cyl heads and are alot harder to fit in a xj if not impracticle. AA Also makes note of this in their catalog.
I am going to go with a 68 327 i pulled out of an impala but if you are looking for fuel injection you could go with an older throttle body injection 350 out of a pick up... they are plentiful, can be made to make decent power and many aftermarket companies make wiring harness for them,Also edelbrock makes a nice mpfi conversion kit for tham that i have put on a few trucks and they seem to do just fine, Next in line is the tpi wouldn't be bad to swap many wire harness's available for them too but they are costly to get more power out of.
Then there is the first gen vortec engines.... they make good power should fit just fine.. the only problem i have found with them is they have poppet injectors inside a 2 piece plastic intake and the injector lines tend to get hot and start to melt and collapse..... injectors also get plugged... Gm has a tsb for converting them to a mpfi.... if you can find one that has been converted it would be a good mill.
Next the Lt1... i myself would never put this engine in a 4x4 that will be driven off road...the biggest design flaw IMHO is the optispark.... older ones have a vent on the bottom that will allow moisture to enter the optispark and kill the ignition module at the worst time... newer style vents to the fresh air intake but i still wouldn't trust it.......made a ton of money off of those engines.

Ok i have written enough now heh hope this may have helped, if not gimmie a yell.

Chris

Ok....thats for the responses. I know he will replace the entire drive train becuase he only wants to buy the body and "frame" of my XJ, nothing else. I think the 350 he is gettin will be a crate motor, but im not positive on that ill have to talk to him. Also what axles would be able to handle the 350? Dana 44s, 60s, 70s??? Or is there a drivetrain out of an old pickup or something that could be used?? Thanks everyone for ure responses.

I was not aware of that issue with the LT1s and I didn't realize that the LS1's are bigger, the only applications I see the LT1s in are street use and they are great for that. I havent hung around the shop in a while. My dad and I built up a Tuned Port 350 out of a late 80s Corvette and are putting it in in his '59 Willys wagon, but its not done yet. I'm just saying thats a good engine too as far as I know.

Back