• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help!! Engine Is Blown!

jddancy

NAXJA Forum User
I have a question. My Jeep had awhile back been acting up when I was on the freeway. It was having a hard time deciding to shift into overdrive. IF I went up a slight hill, it would shift down and the check engine light would come on. I took it in and was told it was the overdrive solenoid valve was dirty. They cleaned it out and it worked, but when it would normally of shifted down, it seemed I was losing power and it lugged. That was better than the check engine light. This weekend we went on a trip and were towing our utility trailer (not very heavy). While we were on a freeway that had very little hills and a bit windy it was like the brake was on. It was losing power and then the temp went up and the check gauges light came on. We turned the A/C off and it immediately cooled down. We took off and turned the A/C off and it still seemed to be losing power but not overheating. We figured it was ok and turned the A/C back on. It repeated itself so we got off and opened the radiator (We had just replaced the termostat 2 weeks prior), which was very hot and we put new water in it. Waited and took off. 5 miles down the road it starts to ping real bad and we are in a construction area and can't get off. The off ramp is very close but in that short time, it starts pinging bad and it starts to overheat and then the engine stopped. We coasted off the offramp and had it towed. We were just informed that the engine is blown. We know that we will have to replace it, but my big question is this, why did it happen in the first place??? We were given a quote of $3600 to replace and install the engine. We are afraid that we put this $$$$ into it and then we never find out what caused it and then it happens again. We do want to replace the radiator ( I have read alot about that) Any suggestions on which one?? We have a 1997 Cherokee. ANY suggestions or comments are VERY appreciated. Thank you!!!

Probably not just the overdrive solenoid valve. had something very similar happen in a pickup I was driving. just quit running while on the freeway after a loss of power. Towing a stock trailer too. It threw a rod. strange that it did not make a lot noise. just quit running.
$3600 seems a little high. If you get it rebuilt you will know for sure what happened.

PETEY said:
$3600 seems a little high. If you get it rebuilt you will know for sure what happened.

$3600? That's way too high. You can build a stroker for a lot less than that! I agree about getting the engine torn down to find out what happened unless there's a hole in the side of the block and a big puddle of oil underneath.
It sounds to me like the head gasket might have blown and you were losing coolant into one or two combustion chambers causing the overheating and loss of power. Let us know what you find.

Yes, the head gasket did blow, also. We thought the best bet would be to just buy a new Mopar Chrysler engine and start over. This is our main vehicle and we need it to be reliable. What do you think of rebuilding? We have our Jeep in a shop that is 3 hours away, so we just want to get it back. We got a 2nd opinion on a 4x4 place we trust here in town and for a new engine, they quoted around the same amount. We thought it sounded like alot, but that is it installed. ANy more input would be appreciated. Also, any suggestions on a radiator??

You can get a new 260hp 4.6L stroker long block engine from either Golen Engine Service or from Custom Design Performance for just $3300. You might wanna think about that before putting $300 more than that into another stock 4.0.

I checked those engines out and was wondering what you thought of the 4.2L 235 HP engine. Do you know if the bolts match? I am going to call them tomorrow. Also does anyone know the differneces in the stock 4.0 and the 4.2 High performance engine. All the info is very appreciated, becasue this is our main vehicle and we are waiting to make a decision. Thanks!!

The 4.2L is the carbeureted I-6 used in the Wrangler until the 91 changeover to the HO 4.0L with fuel injection. It's a 258, and would be a major step backward for you.

jddancy said:
I checked those engines out and was wondering what you thought of the 4.2L 235 HP engine. Do you know if the bolts match? I am going to call them tomorrow. Also does anyone know the differneces in the stock 4.0 and the 4.2 High performance engine. All the info is very appreciated, becasue this is our main vehicle and we are waiting to make a decision. Thanks!!

The 4.2 engine supplied by Golen Engine Service is rated at 235hp when using the 4.0 engine's EFI system (and probably the 4.0 head as well). You'll have no problem bolting it up to your tranny since the bellhousing bolt pattern is the same as the 4.0's. The engine mounts are also in the same location.
If your '97 XJ has the AX15 manual tranny, you'll need pilot bearing with sleeve (stealership part no. 53009180) pressed into the outer hole in back of the crankshaft so that it mates with the AX15's input shaft.

Thanks for the info, does anyone know of a place in California that sells a good high performance engine that is decent price? We are planning on just putting a stock 4.0 Mopar Monday, so anymore info is appreciated.

Dr. Dyno said:
The 4.2 engine supplied by Golen Engine Service is rated at 235hp when using the 4.0 engine's EFI system (and probably the 4.0 head as well).
No kidding? So it's like a mini-stroker?

Is that a rebuilt engine or a new? We want a new, because we need the reliability. Can you let me know how to contact someone for that?

partsbill said:
Factory Reman Engine
R2640469ab
List Price $2075.00

Chilton Labor...2004 Guide @8 Hrs

$3600.00 Too Much
Actually, 3600 is installed. I realize that the Reman is remanufactured. I am not mechanical so I am having it done. I also called a local place that said in California, it is hard to get a high performance engine that will pass smog. We would like to upgrade, if possible, but are having a hard time trying to find a high performance engine in California. If we can't find one, we are going to have the stock one put in. I think the engine is $2200 and the rest is labor. Sound right?

jddancy said:
Actually, 3600 is installed. I realize that the Reman is remanufactured. I am not mechanical so I am having it done. I also called a local place that said in California, it is hard to get a high performance engine that will pass smog. We would like to upgrade, if possible, but are having a hard time trying to find a high performance engine in California. If we can't find one, we are going to have the stock one put in. I think the engine is $2200 and the rest is labor. Sound right?

Correct; $2200 is for the part
That would mean that the labor they are charging is $175 per hour

Find out a little more info on the prices for what you're quoted. The Mopar reman engine also has a 3/36 warranty

jddancy said:
Forgot to ask, what do you think a stock Jeep engine straight 6, should be. And if possible, the installed price.

figure about $1000.00 - 1200.00. install ? Get a couple mechanically inclined friends and some beer ( for afterwards of course ) and you should be able to do it in a day.

Figure shop labor at $50.00/hr x 10hrs $500.00

There is no reason to be in it more than $1800.00

red91inWA said:
figure about $1000.00 - 1200.00. install ? Get a couple mechanically inclined friends and some beer ( for afterwards of course ) and you should be able to do it in a day.

Figure shop labor at $50.00/hr x 10hrs $500.00

There is no reason to be in it more than $1800.00

The $2200 was for a factory reman unit

Now labor..........thats a different story
At 8 hrs. here on the east coast @$70 per hour.......well there's your $560

Therefore......in conclusion ...2200+560=$2760 plus tax plus probably 1-200 for other stuff(coolant, filter, oil and whatever other misc might come upon#####@$3000 total.

Still $600 cheaper that original quote

partsbill said:
The $2200 was for a factory reman unit

Now labor..........thats a different story
At 8 hrs. here on the east coast @$70 per hour.......well there's your $560

Therefore......in conclusion ...2200+560=$2760 plus tax plus probably 1-200 for other stuff(coolant, filter, oil and whatever other misc might come upon#####@$3000 total.

Still $600 cheaper that original quote

I'd just get a good machine shop to do it, and shave another 1000.00 off that

Back