• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hood swap question?

HEX-J

NAXJA Forum User
Just wondering if anyone knows if the hood off of an earlier model XJ(90's model) will fit my 97 XJ. My hood is damaged beyond repair and I am having a hard time finding a replacement locally and don't want to pay an outragous shipping fee. Theres a junk yard nearby that has a bunch of older XJs and I can get a hood there cheap, and as far as I can tell they are the same. The only difference I've noticed is that some of the GM V6 models have a different latch system. Any info would be greatly apreciated!

I really don't think they will. 97 (IIRC) is the year the front end got its makeover. That, coupled with the fact that 2 aftermarket places I found list those years as having vastly different part numbers, makes me think you are SOL as far as using a 90 on a 97. Wish I had good news, but maybe I am wrong.

-Rich

Yeah I've noticed the same thing, but the lines seem to be exactly the same, I just haven't had a chance to compare the hinges to see if they are the same as far as bolt locations. Thanks for the input

the cowl hoods they sell are for all year models which leaves me to believe that all will work. check on gojeeps website, he has a write up on this. all i can recall is that there is some latch modification.

Yep only the latch system is different I was told. And that was only between the V6 and I6 models as far as I aware?
Why dont you just ask if you can return it if it doesn't fit? My cowl hood has the same part number for all years and have seen them now fitted to 97+ and earlier models with only the V6 models needing the latch system changed!

Thanks for the info guys, much apreciated! I've thought about asking if I could swap them there at the junkyard, but the owner is pretty anal and would probably tell me once its unbolted its mine. I had noticed that the cowl hood lists all years, just wasn't sure if it would work. I really want that cowl hood, especially now after reading Gojeeps writeup on it, just can't get myself to spend that much on a hood when I can get a used replacement for $50-$100.00. Decisions, decisions!!! Anyhow, thanks for the help guys.

The hoods will swap... everything around it changed in '97, but the hood is the same.

Back