• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 xj fuel pumps

BurtonUT

NAXJA Forum User
Hey folks, I am new here and have a jeeping problem, I have a 97 with a five speed. and I think that whend I get go t about a 1\4 tank if you get on the gas hard it will lurch and then it will act like you have shut it off, the RPM's will fall to about 500 and then it will pick back up like nothing happend, Listening to the council of the jeep dealer I replaced the crank and the cam sensor and also the rotor just cause it looked crappy, but alas nothing has worked I think that it could be the fuel pump, but every where I priced one out, its going to be spendy, so I just thought I would get some other info on it. is it fuel, or what,
thanks
mitch

Sounds like fuel to me. When you point uphill or 'get on it' the indicated level in the tank drops anyway. You may not really have 1/4 in the tank - it could be less and you are starving it until the RPM (and acceleration) drops and fuel can be pumped. There are a few reports of inline pumps being used but I haven't paid enough attention to those to determine whether it's useful or not. Your intank pump is cooled by the fuel surrounding it, so extended running with low tank content can be hard on the pump.

Back