• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cruise control

Ron Hyslop

NAXJA Forum User
86, 2.5L, ax5, TBFI. New steering column stalk, tail and brake lights work ok, speed sensor test ok, servo under hood tests ok. That leaves the controler under the dash and the vacuum switch on the brake pedal. Any body know how to test the brake pedal switch?

Vacuum pump. It should hold the vacuum when the brake pedal is up, and lose it when you push it down. Speaking of which I need to do that in mine...just haven't gotten around to it yet...(my curise has never worked)

I trust you checked your vacuum lines? They're known for getting eaten by battery acid up at the front right side, just before they go into the vacuum tank behind the front bumper at the RH side.

Sequoia
(Hey, if you find the cure let me know...I've never been motivated enough to chase my CC problem out...I hate that GM style Cruise Control, seems every car I come across with it it don't work!)

Ron,

Once you do all the tests call out in the factory service manual and everything seems to test good I have a suggestion.

First let me say I took in my 88 XJ to fthe dealer to fix the cruise which had worked in the past but was not working now. I interviewed the mechanic before he did the work and was convinced he understood AMC cruise control. He proceeded to replace all the parts and it still di dnot work.

I let them keep it till it had it working. I refused to pick it up till it did work. Finally the tech got ahold of someone in Detroit who told him to wrap EVERYWIRE under the dash and out to the servo in electrical tape. This meant everywire individually. Then he wrapped the whole bundle in electrical tape.

Come to find out it was an insulation break down and Electromagnetic Interference (EMI) problem and the electrical tape fixed the problem. So when the book has no more suggestions try this one. I have my factory cruise working again and someone should benefit from the expensive lesson!

Oh, this job was the only one book labor saved me money. I paid the mechanic for 6 hours... he had 64 actual hours into the repair.

Hope that helps.

Martin

Back