• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

shock absorber recommendations

Erik the Red

NAXJA Forum User
In the thread below, Moto asks what may be causing his tires to cup. I'm running 235 15 BFG KO's on my Comanche and the same tread cupping is happening to me. Every one I talk to suggests bad shocks as the culprit for this, which makes sense in light of how many miles I have on the existing ones.

So here's the Homer Simpson question of the day: Can ya'll recommend a decent brand/type of shocks for my stock 4x4 '88 Comanche? I drive mostly on the freeways, don't haul much except a canopy, and the suspension is totally stock. I presently have Monroe shocks on it right now.

Erik
88 Comanche

Eric,

I have a 88 XJ with BFG AT LT235/75R15 tires like you. Last year I had all the front upper & lower control arm bushings plus rear spring bushings replaced. They also installed new shackles since it was cheaper than pressing in new bushings.

I the past 2 months I installed a set of Monroe Reflex shocks on my XJ. They are night and day difference from the blue monroe matics that were on there. The XJ rides more solid but the bumps are just ate up by the shocks.

Other guys on here will tell you other brands but for me the Reflex work for me. I do some off roading but mine it to gain access to my 80 acres of rural Missouri land. I have 500+ miles of driving each way when I want to go see it and those shocks work for me.

If you renew the control arm bushings you may want to install a new track bar. You also may want to install new sway bar bushings. With sway bar and control arm bushings renewed the vehicle will track like it is on rails, not wonder on the road.

Last I think every XJ/MJ should have a steering box brace. I put mine on for grins and found it solved the steering wheel moving when I hit pot holes or railroad tracks. I intalled the Mountain offroad (MORE) brace but Rusty also sells one. I used the MORE since it did not interfere with the trans aux cooller hard lines.

HTH

Martin

Wow, thanks Martin. At 192k miles I suspect I should replace the bushings on my Comanche when I replace the shocks. I've replaced the track bar once already, so hopefully that component would be okay. Monroe Reflex...I'll check em out.

Erik
88 Comanche

Second the Reflex - been quite happy with them. Wanted to get them again when I went up 4.5", none were sized right. Used the Rancho RSX which appear to be the same, but with an increased range of length and end availability.
Tenneco owns both brands, they both come out of the same plant in Nebraska. You do the math......FWIW, the Rancho's ride just like the Monroe's (big surprise?)

Another vote for Monroe Reflex. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that Kenneco makes both Monroe and Rancho. Since my suspension is stock, the Reflexes sounds like the answer.

Erik
88 Comanche

I recommend Doetsch Tech 3000s After one week of wear in the ride better than anything. they are about $30/shock here. So check out the prices.

Back