• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Slow Check engine light

JungleXJ

NAXJA Forum User
My 94 Cherokee 4.0l HO takes half a minute for the check engine light to come on. Its such a pain to wait for it to come out before I can start it. Its such a pain and is there anything I can do to quicken this up or is something wrong with my ECU unit?

Thanks

Will it not start at all before that? First step would be to pull the codes from it although ironically that requires the Check Engine light to function properly. Get the procedure from http://allpar.com/fix/codes.html

Yup it won't start before the check engine light comes on... After the light comes on it starts fine.

Any suggestions what it might be?

it is possible that one of the sensors on the 5 volt circuit is shorting out the system . i would disconnect one sensor at a time, starting with the crank sensor, and see if the check engine light illumnates immediately. which ever one disconnected illuminates the light is the problem. cycle the key each time you unplug each sensor

Back