• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stripped stud removal

shimmy

NAXJA Forum User
so i know people use stud removers, etc... but i was stubborn and stripped out the stud on my Tcase using some vice grips. now what do i do? anyone know of another way to get it out?

I'm guessing here, but I'm assuming you're referring to the crossmember, and it happened while trying to install a t-case drop? If so, weld something onto what's left of the stud and remove it that way. You can drive it somewhere with 3 bolts, but take it easy and drive straight to a shop if that's who you're going to have remove it. Some people on here have had luck double-nutting it. That might work (if you can get nuts on it after thrashing it with the vice grips).

I was one of those who had luck double-nutting the stud, but then again that assumes you are able to get them on. You can even try the vise-grips again, but try tightening slightly before removing. I whacked one of them upward lightly while holding tension on it - they came out fairly well after that. You're PB Blasting it, right?

yeah i heated it, pb'd it, wacked it, i ended up cutting it off and i'm just going to drill it and tap it. i guess?

HEAT HEAT HEAT clamp the vicegrips on as tight as you can. wiggle the stud back and forth and just keep backing it out a lil bit at a time

i stripped one of mine after a t-case drop and ended up driving around with 3 in there for way longer that i should have even wheeled it a bunch of times like that it should be fine for a while i finaly taped it one size bigger just be carefull because it is just a nut tack welded to the frame rail so don't drill it out too much or there won't be much nut left

Back