• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bogs Down Off Idle

DXJ

NAXJA Forum User
My engine bogs down (sputter) when I accelerate hard. It does it just above idle and after it stumbles for less than a second, it then revs up and pulls as expected. The harder I jump on the gas, the harder it bogs, but only for less than a second. It does it the same if the engine's hot or cold.

I have a 95, 4lt, auto, JeepersCreepers bored out throttle body, cracked exhaust manifold (the usual place, just haven't fixed it yet) and fairly new plugs, plug wires, cap, rotor, and even distibutor.

I don't think it was doing it when I first put in the throttle body and did all the new electrical stuff (I wish I could be sure).

I'd rather not just start replacing things again so any tips or experience with this? Is it a sensor problem (TPS), dirty fuel injectors, or...

Any help or suggestion would be great, thanks,
Dan

Most likely sounds like TPS. I will see if I can find my troubleshooting proceedure for using a voltmeter on the TPS. I assume this is an automatic, correct. If it is a stick, I can loan you a TPS to try.

old_man said:
Most likely sounds like TPS. I will see if I can find my troubleshooting proceedure for using a voltmeter on the TPS. I assume this is an automatic, correct. If it is a stick, I can loan you a TPS to try.

Yep, it's an auto. That would be great if you could post the test procedure.

Thanks.

old_man said:

95=same TPS for both auto and stick.

Test (per 95 FSM): center terminal is output. with ignition ON, backprobe TPS connector, and check output voltage at both idle and Wide Open Throttle. At idle, output voltage must be greater than 200 millivolts. At WOT, must be less than 4.8 volts. It should, of course, increase gradually when you open the throttle, no gaps or spikes. There is no adjustment.

Matthew Currie said:
95=same TPS for both auto and stick.

Test (per 95 FSM): center terminal is output. with ignition ON, backprobe TPS connector, and check output voltage at both idle and Wide Open Throttle. At idle, output voltage must be greater than 200 millivolts. At WOT, must be less than 4.8 volts. It should, of course, increase gradually when you open the throttle, no gaps or spikes. There is no adjustment.

Thanks, I'll check it out.
Dan

Back