• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HP44 tech help needed

Blatant

NAXJA Forum User
(clarifed and cross-posted from POR)
Here's what I have:

1978 F250 D44 with stock knuckles (bought empty). The rest of the parts I purchased from people on POR. I got 8-lug stuff from knuckle out (hubs, rotors, calipers, spindles, brackets, Ford-branded lockouts) from one guy. Then a set of 1978 F250 axle shafts from someone else.

Everything bolted together properly after replacing all seals, bearings, ball joints, etc., but I now have exactly 1 inch of outer stub shaft extending beyond the lip of the hub. This obviously prevents me from assembling the lockouts. The shafts appear to be seated properly.

The hubs are splined inside, which makes them regular internal hubs, correct?

I've got incorrect parts somewhere ... just trying to figure out what's what. Any measurements I can provide to help diagnose the problem? In a bind and would appreciate any info ...
Dion

Matt: Don't know if you'll see this tonight, but the measurement from the end of the spindle to the notch in the stub shaft (for the retainer ring) is 2.125 inches. Thanks for any input.
d

Honestly I don't know what to tell you. To me it sounds as if either you got f150 spindles & are trying to run F250 hubs / rotors, but I couldn't tell you how far off that would put you. Do your calipers line up with the rotors / mounting brackets properly? The spindle controls where everything is placed & holds alignment. I'd start there.

Matt

Evidently there were internal and external hub options?? That's what I'm getting. Do you happen to know the length of the 78-79 F-250 D44 outer stub shafts for internal hubs?

Guy's searching through his parts pile for the right ones.
d

Back