• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Keeping the mud out, how to's?

tellicorick

NAXJA Forum User
Down our way, there's a great possibility of loading up the axle tubes with some of the foulest-smelling swamp water and muck one could imagine (done it may times before). Anybody out there have any experience with the outer axle seals (built in England, I believe and marketed by RE here)? Not real sure they would fit my application, Moser Super 30 axles. Anybody care to opine on keeping the bad stuff out of the tubes and subsequently the pumpkin?

I think that this is what you are talking about.

http://www.jeepin.com/features/axleseals/index.asp

seals11.jpg

It looks like it would work great. Unfortunately no personal experience.

John

Yeah, those are the ones I was talking about. Any count? My formal experience tells me that for seals to be effective, the seals need to rotate about the shaft or the seal needs to be fixed and the shaft rotate inside the seal. From the write-up on these, the only thing holding to either the tube or the axle is to pressurize it with grease. Grease attracts dirt and dust and if the grease leaks out, then the seal can rotate about the axle housing itself and the axle shaft. Anybody have any experience with these? Or another fix? If not, I'm going to design myself some good exterior seals.

Back