• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grease fitting problems

Silver Bullet

NAXJA Forum User
I have RE lower control arms on my 2000 XJ and it is very difficult to grease them up. It's not that they are hard to get at, it's just that the grease gun needs to be squezed very hard to get any grease to go into the Zerks. So hard that it seems i will snap the pistol grip right off the gun.

All of the other fittings on my rig (steering,driveshafts etc.) are easy to pump grease into, why would my control arm fittings be giving me such a hard time?

P.S. The control arms have around 6k on them and have always given me problems.

Thanks
Bullet

That's a tough one to guess but I would think maybe you're not getting the grease gun onto the fitting fully? Either that or the grease holes in the joints are plugged up or otherwise not allowing the grease into the joint.

-jb

The grease gun is snapping over the fitting, it's just taking massive amounts of pressure to get the gun to fill them.

I'm going to grab some grease fittings from work tonight (assuming they are the same) and swap them in and see if there is a difference.

Try jacking up your Jeepand taking the weight off of the bushings, use a quality grease gun (Lincoln, or Alamite, lever style), and put a lot of pressure on it. Also make sure your grease soes not have Moly in it, if you grease your rig regularly, you don't need it; I would only use moly grease in ball joints and kingpins. But I also realize that people dont have 2-3 different kinds of grease lying around, so grease often---its cheap. :twak:

I had a similar problem. I broke a cheap grease gun trying to pump grease in the joint. I went out and bought a better (heavier with a longer lever) grease gun. it takes a little more effort than the rest of my Zerks but it goes in now.

i live on a farm so grease fittings are common, and grease fittings that are tough to pump grease through are just as common... if at all possible replace your fittings with new ones, if not go to a farm supply (or auto store) and get the best grease gun you can get, with a lever not a pistol grip. if that doesnt work spray them with penetrating oil and try to grease them up again. assuming something is wrong with the fittings themselves that is.

bpm4x4 said:
But I also realize that people dont have 2-3 different kinds of grease lying around, so grease often---its cheap. :twak:

They don't :eek: Gee, I always thought 3 was the minimum, two biggie lever types at home, one with molly and one with synthetic and one smaller pistol grip for the onboard tool box with a couple of extra cartridges....

Back