• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How big can than they be?

scoobyxj

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I was wandering what is the largest size tires can be run on the stock axles before reliability becomes a problem? not dealing with a stuped right foot or being ignorent with the left and right foot together. I'm running 31x10.50's right now planning on 32x11.50 for next set of street tires and 31x12.50 for trail tires. then maybe 33's later on down the road with a little more lift.

You should have no trouble with 33s. Most people who run about 32-35's don't have very much trouble. This my be my ignorant self though. As long as you aren't stupid you could go up to 35's, however you didn't say what axles your Jeep had. That will infulence how big you can go.

scoobyxj said:
I was wandering what is the largest size tires can be run on the stock axles before reliability becomes a problem? not dealing with a stuped right foot or being ignorent with the left and right foot together. I'm running 31x10.50's right now planning on 32x11.50 for next set of street tires and 31x12.50 for trail tires. then maybe 33's later on down the road with a little more lift.
Depends what 'stock' is for you and how you drive. There are a number of current threads that deal with axle strength, so if you have a D35 in the rear I wouldn't recommend much larger than 30s or so, but if you have a D44 or a 29-spline 8.25" then up to 35s shouln't be much problem in most cases. At that point the front axle becomes more of an issue...

in your profile it says you have a 2000, so i believe that limits you to the D35 or the 29 spline 8.25.

personally I would say don't run a D35 with tires bigger than 31", smaller if it's locked. If you're willing to carry spare shafts, you can go a little bigger, but definitly not bigger than 33s.

for the 8.25, I would say 35" unlocked, 33" locked max. problem is with these larger sizes is that then you get into issues of really needing to regear the diffs. if you're regearing, you will probably want to use a D44, 9" or 8.8 while you're at it.

yes it is a 2000 and it has the 8.25 weather or not it is the 29 spline or not i don't know [there is two different counts for the 8.25 right]. and as of right now im just thinking 4.56 gears and a limited slip in the rear because is my daily driver and i really don't want to run harder trails with it. im thinking of getting another xj or maby an mj for weeling later on down the road so the 2000 can just be my street queen.

If it's a '00 then you have the 29-spline 8.25 as the 27-spline was used up until sometime late in the '96 model year. You also should have the low-pinion front axle however, which does lose some strength to the earlier models. your 32s or 33s shouldn't be a problem though unless you have a terminal addiction to the gas pedal.

I think,personally,that you shouldnt go bigger than 33s if u have a 30 up front and 35 at the rear. I havent tried this but have many friends who have broken axles goin to 35s.Just be careful and smart

I run 33x10.5 on a D35 with 4.11's and ARB. I haven't broken an axle shaft yet but I do drive pretty safe and turn the locker off when needed. I know my day is coming soon, but I do have extra shafts when it does. Juice

Thanks for the info everyone. the sizes you suggested where what i was thinking. Although i do tend to get crazy on the skinny pedel it is usually only on the highway [i do know how to not tear things up however]. so i should be good to go with this being a street queen.

before changing to a 14 bolt i ran 35 1450 boggers and ran in on two trips to tellico and including up upper two schoolbus and the bottom of slick rock before something broke and i only broke a rear u joint. On top of that my rear end was welded. I had more troble out of my front hub bearing due to the with and weight of the tire.

Back