• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DD/Trail Tire

Which is better for an 80/20 rig? Compare and Contrast.

• Trxus MT

Votes: 35 21.2%
  • MTR

Votes: 42 25.5%
  • BFG MT

Votes: 52 31.5%
  • Other

Votes: 39 23.6%

• Total voters

gmanxj

NAXJA Forum User
Which one is better for a 80/20 dd/trail rig?

Does anyone have any experience with any two or more of them?

What are the pro's and con's of each?

Right now, I have the trxus and am pretty happy with them.

TIA

Don't you just hate it when you have a big write up and your internet shuts down? Agh...
But..
I love my 32 MTRs Have had them over the top in mud and gotten though. Rocks, well just look at the pros. They are quiet to an extent, not as loud as a swamper, but louder then your slicks. My Jeep is my DD, to and from school, and other stuff. As of right now I go wheeling almost every day, so its almost 50/50 right now :greensmok But normally its about 20/80. All of those tires are similliar to some degree, so price and avalibility will have some factor to you choice.

there is no way to properly answer that question without knowing what type of wheelin. since you're profile says Utah, i'm gonna assume you do mostly dry rock, so just get MTRs. If you have any liking for mud, completely disregard that suggestion, they suck horribly in the mud.

For slickrock, the BFG TA/KO's work well between the road and trail They have awesome traction on slickrock to the point where I've snapped axles because of so much traction.

BFG All Terrains or BFG Mud Terrains are where I plan on going with mine. It sees mostly sand and slick rock.

I havn't seen them on any other rigs, but, i'm runnin 33"Wildspirits and, they work great in the mud and crawlin, but, in sand, not too good.

I've run BFG AT' and MT's in Moab and the Wasatch Mts for several years and the KO's work well on a DD, but my most recent set of tires are the Goodyear MTR's. I've been really impressed with their onroad performance, especially in the snow! Who'd have thought?
I may not like them as much when they are below 50% tread, where my BFG MT's started to get loud on the road, but so far the MTR's have worked well on the road (wet and dry), in the sand, on slickrock and in the Wasatch rubble.
Good luck with your choice and hope to see you on the trail.....soon. NAXJA IC run this month is in 2 weeks..................

I run BFG AT/KOs also. Awesome traction on the rocks and snow, and fairly quiet. I don't do any muddin', but I hear they're not great in the gooey stuff.

Goodyear wranglers do pretty good but pretty much any mud tire will wear pretty bad. BFG ATs are good for rocks with their sidewall and BFG MTs are good pretty much everywhere but the road esp. in rain.You might want to check out the Wild Country TXRs. I have a set of those and they clear well in the mud and handle pretty well in the rain. But keep in mind that mud tires wont handle too well in the rain and all terrains will do much better.

I've liked my Trxus a lot, but lately they have gotten real noisy. I am sticking with a 16" rim so I'm limited to 8 or 10 ply tires.

My worry about both the BFG tires ( MT and AT ) is I have heard that they tend to not have great traction in rain. I like the MTR's but I was wondering about their noise on-road, and seeing how I am moving soon to go to graduate school, I need something that I can stand for a few thousand miles.

I was just reading in a JP magazine and saw a jeep with the Nitto terra grapplers, does anyone know anything about these tires? I know they're more of an AT.

gmanxj said:
I've liked my Trxus a lot, but lately they have gotten real noisy. I am sticking with a 16" rim so I'm limited to 8 or 10 ply tires.

My worry about both the BFG tires ( MT and AT ) is I have heard that they tend to not have great traction in rain. I like the MTR's but I was wondering about their noise on-road, and seeing how I am moving soon to go to graduate school, I need something that I can stand for a few thousand miles.

I've run the BFG MT's and AT ko's. Decent tires, but I've found the trXus to be superior to both in all conditions, especially hardpacked and deep snow (the onroad difference in packed snow compared to the AT ko is hard to believe, and the MT's just suck in the slick stuff).

On your list, I'd replace them with MT/R's if you are a rock guy, but I'd get another set of trXus and keep 'em rotated in you deal with a lot of mud and snow to go with your rocks.

Nay

i have BFG ATs right now, and i have noticed that they dont like the rain too much, maybe its just my driving, but ive noticed that if you get even a little aggressive while driving in the rain, they slip a bit. i also get a lot of highway miles on them, and they are a little noisy, but drive very well on the highway.

Those who have run the tires listed, how do the sidewalls compare as far as puncture resistance?

I know some have already said BFG AT, but I really like mine. They performed very well for me at penn's woods jeep jamboree. I did notice i had a little trouble with mud, where my friend running procomp mt's did not. I just cant see running mud terrains on the road. It just seems like a waste, but i understand not having enough money for two sets of tires.

Ya, I have the Trxus right now, and I am so surprised by the way the get traction in every situation I've been in. But I do not really want to run a 10-ply tire, because of my 16" rims. Right now, I have the 8-ply 255/85/16's, but I want to run a wider tire like 285/75/16.

I do think that they are the best all around tire available.

Back