• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How much lift do I need to fit 33's?

labdo86

NAXJA Forum User
I currently have a 3.5'' RE lift with 31x10.5 tires. I want to move up to 33 inchers. I plan on cutting out the fenders and putting on some TJ flares for extra space, but how much more lift will I need to fit 33x12.5's?

I am at about 5" and quite a bit of trimming
disney1.jpg

If you are planning to trim, you can easily fit 33's with your current set up. Proper bumpstops help a lot too. We can get 35's under 5" of lift and 37's under 6.5", and still look and flex great. Depending how old/abused your RE 3.5" kit is, you probably have more than 3.5" of lift anyways.

labdo86 said:
I currently have a 3.5'' RE lift with 31x10.5 tires. I want to move up to 33 inchers. I plan on cutting out the fenders and putting on some TJ flares for extra space, but how much more lift will I need to fit 33x12.5's?

Have 4 inch lift, and 33's. Guy I bought the thing from had trimmed the fenders, and I still stuff the tires now and then, but it's not bad. Tis an 89, so who knows how much sag.. Try it with the 3.5, if it doesn't work, go with the 4.5 RE or whatever you prefer. Depends a lot on what you intend to do with the rig. Bouncing around on the rocks like we do out here, kinda gets a lil rub now and then. On the other hand, I rarely worry about mud caked in there, either.

poomba said:
Have 4 inch lift, and 33's. Guy I bought the thing from had trimmed the fenders, and I still stuff the tires now and then, but it's not bad. Tis an 89, so who knows how much sag.. Try it with the 3.5, if it doesn't work, go with the 4.5 RE or whatever you prefer. Depends a lot on what you intend to do with the rig. Bouncing around on the rocks like we do out here, kinda gets a lil rub now and then. On the other hand, I rarely worry about mud caked in there, either.

It all depends on how much wheel travel you want. Up front I have 4.5" RE coils with 1.75" poly spacer and no stock coil isolators and well cut out fenders. Result is that up front I rub only on the tub (I got 33x1250x15 and 4.5" backspacing). I could have gotten rims that would space the tires out more but I'd end up rubbing were my TJ flares mount.

In the rear I got 3.5" RE leafs which net me 4"+ and I got MJ shackles (I gotta get something longer to even out with the front) and they tuck in REAL nice.... so anyways, put them on and see where it rubs and then cut it. Beware though that trail testing might end up with some body damage if you grab a fender with a tire and pull it in (I did that with 31's and 3.5" and stock CA's), so find a ramp or a loading dock and slowly test and look.

Agreed. and if I'd actually put the longer bumpstops in, maybe that would be the difference. They're not very effective sitting in the package..maybe if I nailed 'em to the grill, like a good luck charm...

I'm in the same boat as labdo86, RE 3.5" with 31s and I want to go to 33s. How much more clearence do the instal of TJ flares give you? Will coil spacers and lift shackeles be needed too?

Flares won't give you any more clearance. They're cosmetic and in some places mandatory, but they won't give more room. How much you cut will define that. 3" inches is plenty as long as you cut enough fender out. Here was mine when it was at 3" with 33"s

is.php

I have a 4" lift with Bushwacker cut outs and 33s. I love the setup. Mine is a daily driver, so I want that nice center of gravity I maintain with 4", but I get axle clearance for the offroad adventures as well. Trimming does open up the wheel well more for stuffing, but if you are a novice like me with the sawzall, the Bushwackers cover over all the "ohshits" and turn out nicely. :peace:

I'm at 6" with trimmed front fenders. 33x10.5 BFG At's and I also have 33x10.5 Radial Swampers. Both fit and don't rub. Extended bump stops.

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

Back