• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How high can I lift without a new driveshaft?

labdo86

NAXJA Forum User
I currently am running a 3.5'' RE lift with 31x10.5 xterrains and want to be able to run 33's. Obviously I need more lift (coil spacers and lift blocks) and a fender hacking, but I don't want to have to mess with a new longer driveshaft and SYE. Is this at all possible or am I going to run into problems?

I want to see pics too. :confused1 I put on the 6" skyjacker, and I had to get my driveshaft lenghtened and get the YJ yokes.

I have 8" with the stock rear shaft, no problems, no vibes, at least 10,000 miles, and lots of wheelin :D

one catch though, it's an MJ with a driveshaft a foot longer than an XJs, and I swapped from a D35 to a Toyota 8" which pushed the slipyoke back into the t-case the right amount.

back to the original question; his profile says it's a 98, so he's lucky he got away with 3.5" without needing an SYE. to go any higher would just be foolish without it. a RE hack and tap SYE only costs $90 and you can make a front XJ shaft work with it for pretty cheap.

and I hope you're planning on running a traction bar with those blocks, otherwise get your extra lift with a longer shackle, relocating the shackle, or using more arched springs (search dakota and s-10)

labdo86 --

We can't really answer this without knowing what year XJ you have. I'll assume from your screen name that it may be an '86, but you know what they say about assuming.

Every XJ is different. Some folks can run 6" with the stock driveshaft. A friend of mine had a 3" lift in his father's {95 (old style output shaft). He decided he "had" to go to 5", so he did. His driveshaft fell out a quarter of a mile down the road on the maiden voyage.

I'm thinking that if you try to go to 33s without doing siome drive shaft work you're looking for problems. JMHO.

I was fine at 5" and 31's for about 3 years, went to 33's and 7" and the t-case and driveshaft detonated on me within 2 weeks of doing it.

If you're serious enough about it, get an SYE

WHY? Just because it hasn't happened to someone else doesn't mean it won't happen to you at the worst possible time in the worst possible location.

If you're upgrading your lift and tires, spend a little more dough and upgrade your driveline.

oh btw...mine's an '88 with AW4

p.s. Use big blocks temporarily, don't count on your leafs lasting...but that my friend...is another thread

Gil "wannabuysome3inchblocks?" Bullycatz

ever considered running 33's on ur same lift. jsut hack those fenders off and it can be done. i was at 4.5 inches of lift, but it sagged to 3.5 and i can run 33's if i hacked my fenders no probem.

Back