• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trail advice/ Who wants to do a run?!?

Fergie

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,

I'll be in CO from the the 1st of August until the 14 th or so. I'll be on my honeymoon, and we will be traveling all around, starting in CO Springs, then heading to Vail, then Durango. What I am looking for is for some scenic trail suggestions, that arent too difficult. My Jeep has 2" lift, 30s, and Auburn in the rear, and a LockRite front.

So, what would a a few good trails for those areas?

I was thinking;

Co Springs- Mt. Baldy, Garden of the Gods, and some kind of bac way from the Springs to Cripple Creek.

Vail- McCalliste Gulch, Wheeler Lake, and Weston Pass

Durango- Part of this time will be spent doing the NAXJA CO run, but other times I was thinking Black Bear, Imogene, and Clear Lake.

If you all could give me some feedback on the trails, or give me some others I should check out, then I would appreciate it.

Also, if any of you would like to get togther and hit the trails one day, then let me know and we can sort the details out.

Thanks for the help all.

Fergie

Badass your coming to Colorado!

If youre in Durango and see Reed, tell him I said what up. :D

Ill try to get down there and wheel w/yah in the springs some where. Mt Baldy would be allright.

:cheers:

Fergie said:
Co Springs- Mt. Baldy, Garden of the Gods, and some kind of bac way from the Springs to Cripple Creek.

Vail- McCalliste Gulch, Wheeler Lake, and Weston Pass

Durango- Part of this time will be spent doing the NAXJA CO run, but other times I was thinking Black Bear, Imogene, and Clear Lake.

Baldy is a good call for a moderate trail. I'd do the drive up Pikes Peak if you really want to spend that much time in your car on your honeymoon :D.

Garden of the Gods is not a 4wd trail. That's a park-and-walk place, and a must do if you in in the Springs (it is absolutely spectacular). Rampart Range road does leave out of Garden of the Gods, but it's not very high on scenery in my opinion.

You can take Gold Camp Road from the Springs to Cripple Creek. Awesome drive on a back country road.

As for Vail...do you know where Vail is? As in, the West side of Vail Pass? Wheeler Lake is easily an hour from Vail and it's not a moderate trail (it is moderate for the hardcore, but difficult for the moderate crowd). I'd get Charles Wells' book "Colorado Backcountry Roads and 4wd Trails" (Volume I) so you can see all of the trails in a given area.

When you are in Durango you can't go wrong with any of those trails...again, buy the Wells book and you'll have a guide to all the trails in the area. If you plan to do scenic wheeling, this is a must have resource for $15.

Oh, and congrats! :guitar: .

Nay

I actaully have both of those books, and got the trail ideas from them.

I am always unsure with those kind of books as to whether "moderate" trails are really moderate or not. And I honestly have no clue about vail, or any other place for that matter. I have spent the last 16 years in AZ, and have left the state less than a dozen times.

If you guys have any other trail suggestions, then please, speak up, and maybe a decent fishing spot.

Thanks for the help and I look forward to hitting the trails.

Fergie

Fergie

I have wheeled with Chuck Wells when he first started his books. The CO trails were run in an XJ with 32's (when 32's were big) and Chuck is cautious in his trail ratings. His medium trails can be run in a stock vehicle with an experienced driver.

Look forward to you joining us in august.

Well, got my LockRite today, so coupled with the Auburn rear, I should be pretty good. I should also be picking up a winch in this next week.

Quick question: With a winch on the front, and hooks bolted to the winch carrier, that is more than adequate for a front recovery point, correct?

Fergie

Fergie said:
Hey all,

I'll be in CO from the the 1st of August until the 14 th or so. I'll be on my honeymoon, and we will be traveling all around, starting in CO Springs, then heading to Vail, then Durango. What I am looking for is for some scenic trail suggestions, that arent too difficult. My Jeep has 2" lift, 30s, and Auburn in the rear, and a LockRite front.

So, what would a a few good trails for those areas?

Hey- you're gonna be here for the week of XJ Fest....why not join us for some of the trails there on your way to Durango?

We'll be there on the 10th I beleive. We have some other things we are doing, but will most likely hit Black Bear and Imogene on one of the days.

Fergie

While you're in the Springs, myself and a couple xj-junkies/buddies might be up for a Baldy run about that time. Should be about my last trip before the RE lift and all sorts of other fun stuff. PM me or post it here. We'll set something up.

-Rich

Last edited:
Back