• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dash BRAKE lite stays on

tuxxj

NAXJA Member #368
Yesterday after using the parking brake and releasing it, the dash light stays on. Where is the switch located? Or is it not the sensing switch?
Thanx

Beware though, the brake light is also connected to the proportioning valve and is used to indicate a pressure imbalance from the front to rear brakes... Are your brakes feeling mushy or non-responsive? If you press hard on the brakes at a stand-still and the light goes out, then you need to check your front and rear brakes for pad wear, adjustment, etc.

Well, after tearing the center console apart, it is not the brake switch. I''ll try the pedal test. Time for the new rear brake shoes I've been saving for a shop day.
Thanx.

The light doesn't have anything to do with shoes or pads. It indicates a malfunction in the brake hydraulic system. If you don't know how to check that, take it to a qualified brake shop or a dealer.

Eagle said:
The light doesn't have anything to do with shoes or pads. It indicates a malfunction in the brake hydraulic system. If you don't know how to check that, take it to a qualified brake shop or a dealer.

Eagle is correct, I worded my reply wrong (left a little info out). When I tore into my brakes, not only did I find the rear shoes were completely worn to the metal linings, but that I had a leaky wheel cylinder as well, so... I would say you need an overall brake inspection, including the wheel cylinders in the rear because that is more than likely one of the problems. Also, the adjusters in the rear like to sieze up, so those need to be checked as well.

IIRC after correcting the problem you will have to practically stand on the brake pedal to shut the light off. That was something I read in a Haynes for Cherokees. They gave the exact pounds needed but I think it was the equivalent of my weight.

tuxxj said:
Yesterday after using the parking brake and releasing it, the dash light stays on. Where is the switch located? Or is it not the sensing switch?
Thanx

After using parking brake?

Just a reminder to check the obvious. The e-brake handle may not be all the way down. Push it down see if light goes out.

Bob

Back